Thursday, May 30, 2019

Lucinda Williams - McCabe's Guitar Shop, Santa Monica, CA, August 9, 1991

So far, I've generally avoided posting entire concerts here. I've got a lot of good ones to post, but there are lots of other websites that do that, and I'm trying to prioritize getting out my many stray tracks collections first. But I was listening to this concert today, and decided to post it anyway.

This is a great concert for several reasons. One, it's acoustic, and I love acoustic music. Lucinda Williams plays an acoustic guitar, and is backed up only by someone else on a second guitar who does some backing vocals.

Two, it's a excellent sounding soundboard. The one problem with it is that Williams speaks very quietly when talking between songs. But I think this was just her shyness, not the recording, since she sounds just fine whenever singing. I've boosted the volume for all of her talking, but I could only do so much of that before it sounded too hissy, so they're still somewhat quiet.

Three, there are a great bunch of songs here. This concert happened in 1991, a year prior to the release of her classic "Sweet Old World" album. But it's as if it happened after that album was released, because she plays a majority of the songs from it. There also are lots of songs from her equally classic 1988 album "Lucinda Williams," plus a smattering of songs from even earlier in her career, and some covers (including ending the concert with songs done by the Rolling Stones, Nick Drake, and Bob Dylan).

Williams has only played acoustic concerts very rarely. So it's a treat to hear many songs from early in her career in acoustic format.

This album is an hour and 27 minutes long.

01 Crescent City (Lucinda Williams)
02 Big Red Sun Blues (Lucinda Williams)
03 Am I Too Blue (Lucinda Williams)
04 Prove My Love (Lucinda Williams)
05 Sidewalks of the City (Lucinda Williams)
06 Pineola (Lucinda Williams)
07 Side of the Road (Lucinda Williams)
08 talk (Lucinda Williams)
09 I Just Wanted to See You So Bad (Lucinda Williams)
10 Little Angel, Little Brother (Lucinda Williams)
11 Passionate Kisses (Lucinda Williams)
12 Sweet Old World (Lucinda Williams)
13 Six Blocks Away (Lucinda Williams)
14 Like a Rose (Lucinda Williams)
15 Something about What Happens When We Talk (Lucinda Williams)
16 Happy Woman Blues (Lucinda Williams)
17 Disgusted (Lucinda Williams)
18 Nothing in Rambling (Lucinda Williams)
19 talk (Lucinda Williams)
20 Hot Blood (Lucinda Williams)
21 Changed the Locks (Lucinda Williams)
22 talk (Lucinda Williams)
23 Stop Breaking Down (Lucinda Williams)
24 talk (Lucinda Williams)
25 Which Will (Lucinda Williams)
26 Positively 4th Street (Lucinda Williams)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15274890/LucndaWllms_1991_McCabesGuitarShpSantaMnicaCA__8-9-1991_atse.zip.html

For the cover art, I couldn't find any good photos of Williams in concert from 1991, so I've used one of her from 1992 instead.

3 comments:

  1. Only just discovered your site, and have been gorging on Lucinda.
    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all Lucinda Williams. Been a fan of hers since 1988 when she put out her self titled album. I only saw her live once at the Bottom Line in New York City. It was a small crowd so I go to watch her up close. Great show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Just listened to Lucinda's new album Stories of a Rock n Roll Heart. I don't know what they did with Lucinda's voice, but i.m.o. her voice is way too far in the back, maybe apart from Jukebox. I would be happy if you could make a new mix.

    ReplyDelete