Monday, May 13, 2019

Los Lobos - Teresa - Non-Album Tracks (2000-2001)

I love Los Lobos' original songs in the 1980s and 1990s. In particular, I think their 1992 album "Kiko" is a five-star album, and my favorite of theirs. I don't know why, but starting in the late 1990s, I feel their songwriting went downhill. But their musical talent otherwise remained as strong as ever. This is a collection of stray tracks from 2000 and 2001. A majority of the songs are covers, so their songwriting decline isn't really evident here. I think this is still a very good listen.

Los Lobos put out an album in 1999 ("This Time") and another one in 2002 ("Good Morning Aztlan"). This deals with the in-between time. The band has been very busy when it comes to contributions to soundtracks and various artist compilations, and a handful of songs here are from those.

Furthermore, since the late 1990s, they've done a lot of side projects. Four of the songs here are from an album by the group "Los Super Seven." That's a group with a lot of musicians in it, including a lot of different lead singers. I've only included the songs sung by either of the two main singers in Los Lobos. In my opinion, these sound exactly like Los Lobos songs.

Finally, three more songs are from a concert bootleg. This is an excellent soundboard recording with the audience noise removed, so you probably won't even notice they're not studio recordings unless you look closely at the mp3 tags.

I know Los Lobos' albums have continued to be critically acclaimed. But frankly, I like this albums of "odds and sods" more than the official studio albums that come before or after it.

01 Johnny 99 (Los Lobos)
02 Cumbia Raza [English Version] (Los Lobos)
03 Big Boss Man (Los Lobos)
04 Colas (Los Lobos)
05 El Rey (Los Lobos)
06 Mustang Sally (Los Lobos)
07 Spy Wedding [Instrumental] (Los Lobos & Robert Rodriguez)
08 El Pescador (Los Super Seven)
09 Calle Dieciseis (Los Super Seven)
10 Teresa (Los Super Seven)
11 Campesino (Los Super Seven)
12 Oye Como Spy [Oye Como Va] [Instrumental] (Los Lobos)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15262525/LosLbs_2000-2001_Tersa_atse.zip.html

For the cover art, I found a Los Lobos concert poster. I don't know where or when it's from. I had to make some adjustments to get the rectangular poster to fit into a square shape.

3 comments:

  1. yay! More Los Lobos, ya can't go wrong with these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. But unfortunately I don't have a lot more of their stuff after this one. Although I'm not done yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally agree with you on the downhill of their production in the late nineties.

    ReplyDelete