Sunday, May 26, 2019

Traffic - Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 9-12-1967

I've already posted one Traffic album, a concert from 1970. But I plan on posting some more, including stray tracks collections and BBC performances. But first, here's a concert from 1967.

Traffic was together (with Dave Mason) from 1967 to 1968, then broke up for a year, before having a longer run, from 1970 to 1974 (without Dave Mason, except for a few concerts). There are lots of concert recordings from their second iteration, both official and bootleg, but almost none from their first iteration. Generally, the few bootlegs that exist from that time have poor sound. This concert from Stockholm, Sweden, is almost the only exception.

I'm not sure why, but I have a bunch of recordings in my music collection from the late 1960s recorded at the Konserthuset with unusually good sound quality for its time. Maybe there were a series of shows recorded for a Swedish TV or radio show? The only downside is that the concert is rather short, at about 41 minutes. But that probably was all they played that night, and the other Traffic setlists from 1967 are similarly short.

There's a popular bootleg of this show called "Traffic Jam." But I see no reason for that name, other than a play on words, so I'm skipping that.

01 Giving to You (Traffic)
02 Smiling Phases (Traffic)
03 Coloured Rain (Traffic)
04 Hole in My Shoe (Traffic)
05 Feelin' Good (Traffic)
06 Paper Sun (Traffic)
07 Dear Mr. Fantasy (Traffic)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15259250/Trffc_1967d_KonserthsetStockhlmSweden__9-12-1967_atse.zip.html

It's very tough to find any good photos of Traffic in concert in 1967. I had to resort to using a photo from the cover of the official Traffic archival release "The Definitive Collection."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again. The sound quality on this is really good. The 2 previous early Traffic shows I had were barely listenable. I have a friend who will greatly appreciate this one. I saw them in 1970. 11/18/70 at the Fillmore East and the concert is available for download at Guitars101 and other sites. I just regret they don't have the Cat Stevens set before Traffic or the opening act, a little band called T. Rex. It was a great night. But these early Traffic shows are rare pearls, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious again. How great to see those three artists on the same bill!

      Re: sound quality, I try to maintain high standards. I plan on posting some early Traffic stuff from the BBC. That also sounds really good.

      Delete