Friday, May 3, 2019

The Move - Blackberry Way - Non-Album Tracks (1968-1969)

This is the second of my three stray tracks albums for the Move.

I mentioned in the last one how it was odd that the band didn't release a studio album in 1967, despite having plenty of songs to do so. They did put out an album in 1968, but then they didn't have one in 1969, despite again having enough songs to do. This essentially is that album.

The bulk of this album comes from the A- and B-sides to three singles. The first A-side, "Wild Tiger Woman," had no chart action at all despite being a good song. The second, "Blackberry Way," hit number one in Britain. The third, "Curly," made it to number 12 in Britain. None of these had any success at all in the US, since the Move was essentially unheard of there in the 1960s.

If I only had the seven songs from the three singles (one of them had two B-sides), that would only be a 24-minute long album. Luckily though, there are three more Move stray tracks from this time period that are not from the BBC, since I have a whole series of albums just dealing with their BBC performances. These three songs are from a live album of a 1969 concert, though it wasn't released until decades later. As I often do, I removed the audience noise from these songs so they'd fit with the studio tracks that make up the rest of the album. All three of those songs are covers, while all the other songs here are originals.

In my opinion, this album is just as good as the official one before it or after it. Note though that Jeff Lynne still hadn't joined the group at this time.

01 Wild Tiger Woman (Move)
02 Omnibus (Move)
03 Blackberry Way (Move)
04 Something (Move)
05 Curly (Move)
06 This Time Tomorrow (Move)
07 Second Class [She's Too Good For Me] (Move)
08 Goin' Back (Move)
09 Under the Ice (Move)
10 Open My Eyes (Move)

https://www.imagenetz.de/mkSk8

For the cover, I used the cover to the "Blackberry Way" single. However, I cleaned up some areas, removed the name of the B-side, and stretched the title to fill the space where the B-side name used to be.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed that 'Omnibus' was only a B-side.

    ReplyDelete