Monday, May 6, 2019

Robyn Hitchcock - Acoustic Covers, Volume 4: 1999-2000

As I work my way chronologically through Robyn Hitchcock's extremely prolific career, I've been posting three kinds of albums: full-band stray track albums, all-acoustic versions of studio albums, and live cover versions albums.

It's been a long time since I've posted any of the last kind, and I've only posted two of those so far. But here's another. These will come more frequently from now on. Maybe part of that is that he started playing cover versions more often in concert. But I think more of it is that the number of bootlegged concerts increased, and the sound quality of such bootlegs increased too. If he's played a particular song many times over the years, I tried to go with the best sounding version. I'm glad to say the sound quality is pretty good on this album, even though every single song is from concert bootlegs. Most of them are from soundboard recordings.

Hitchcock loves the Beatles and Bob Dylan. So it's not that surprising that he covers four Beatles songs and three Dylan songs here. But he also does some less expected songs, such as tunes by R.E.M. ("Electrolyte") and Morrissey ("Every Day Is like Sunday").

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 I'll Get You - Beatles
02 Let It Be Me - Everly Brothers
03 Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
04 I've Got a Feeling - The Tracks of My Tears - Beatles - Smokey Robinson
05 Satellite of Love - Lou Reed
06 What Goes On - Velvet Underground
07 Too Much of Nothing - Bob Dylan
08 Waterloo Sunset [Acoustic Band Version] - Kinks
09 4th Time Around - Bob Dylan
10 Tangled Up in Blue - Bob Dylan
11 Everyday Is like Sunday - Morrissey
12 Only a Northern Song - Beatles
13 Old Brown Shoe - Beatles
14 Rock Your Baby - When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman - Kung Fu Fighting - George McCrae - Dr. Hook - Carl Douglas
15 All I Have to Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers

Here's the usual song list:

01 I'll Get You (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Let It Be Me (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Peggy Sue (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 I've Got a Feeling - The Tracks of My Tears (Robyn Hitchcock & Grant Lee Phillips)
05 Satellite of Love (Robyn Hitchcock & Grant Lee Phillips)
06 What Goes On (Robyn Hitchcock & Grant Lee Phillips)
07 Too Much of Nothing (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Waterloo Sunset [Acoustic Band Version] (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 4th Time Around (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 Tangled Up in Blue (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 Everyday Is like Sunday (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 Only a Northern Song (Robyn Hitchcock)
13 Old Brown Shoe (Robyn Hitchcock)
14 Rock Me Baby - When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman - Kung Fu Fighting (Robyn Hitchcock & Grant Lee Phillips)
15 All I Have to Do Is Dream (Robyn Hitchcock & Grant Lee Phillips)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15272688/RobynH_1999-2000_AcousticCoversVolume4_atse.zip.html

I couldn't find a good photo of Hitchcock with an acoustic guitar in 1999 or 2000. I'm not sure when this photo is from exactly, but judging by his hair, which was rapidly turning grey around this time, it's from roughly around 1999.

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious where some of these recording come from. Specifically, "I'll Get You" and "Too Much of Nothing". The online RH gigography I consulted said they were only ever performed at one show -- a show at Austin's Cactus Cafe that I recorded off the soundboard. I put "I'll Get You" up on SoundCloud but never got around to sharing the Dylan track. So are these audience recordings or... what? I certainly don't claim ownership of anything -- I actually was looking to see if you would like copies. But yeah, I'm mighty curious.

    PS: I also recorded two Al Stewart performances off the board at the Cactus in 2001-2002 if you'd like those -- around a half dozen tracks from those are on SoundCloud under Kenneth W. Lieck if you want to give them a listen. (I gave them nice cover illustrations, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL albums I post contain all the source info in the comments field of the mp3 tags. Here's the info for this album:

      01 I'll Get You - 1999 - Largo, Los Angeles, CA, 4-3-1999
      02 Let It Be Me - 1999 - Crocodile Cafe, Seattle, WA, 7-24-1999
      03 Peggy Sue - 1999 - 33 Degrees Record Store, Austin, TX, 8-7-1999
      04 I've Got a Feeling - The Tracks of My Tears - 1999 - Two Bells Tavern, Seattle, WA, 9-4-1999
      05 Satellite of Love - 1999 - Two Bells Tavern, Seattle, WA, 9-4-1999
      06 What Goes On - 1999 - Two Bells Tavern, Seattle, WA, 9-4-1999
      07 Too Much of Nothing - 1999 - Cactus Cafe, Austin, TX, 10-24-1999
      08 Waterloo Sunset [Acoustic Band Version] - 1999 - Maxwell's, Hoboken, NJ, 11-2-1999
      09 4th Time Around - 1999 - Maxwell's, Hoboken, NJ, 11-2-1999
      10 Tangled Up in Blue - 2000 - Largo, Los Angeles, CA, 2-19-2000
      11 Everyday Is like Sunday - 2000 - Largo, Los Angeles, CA, 2-19-2000
      12 Only a Northern Song - 2000 - KCRW, Santa Monica, CA, 3-19-2000
      13 Old Brown Shoe - 2000 - The Bottom Line, New York City, 6-16-2000
      14 All the Young Dudes - 2000 - The Troubadour, Los Angeles, CA, 6-20-2000
      15 Rock Your Baby - When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman - Kung Fu Fighting - 2000 - Crocodile Cafe, Seattle, WA, 6-24-2000
      16 All I Have to Do Is Dream - 2000 - Crocodile Cafe, Seattle, WA, 6-24-2000

      If you have better sourcing, or stuff I don't have, I'd love to have that. And the Al Stewart ones sound nice too. :)

      Delete
    2. Here's my email info: thompson22 @ runbox.com (remove the spaces)

      Delete