Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Johnny Cash - American Outtakes (1993)

I'm kinda surprised I haven't posted this album yet, because it's exactly what this blog is all about. It's a classic example of an album that should exist, and I'm baffled that it still hasn't been officially released. If you're a Johnny Cash fan at all, you need to hear this.

I'm not a huge country music fan, but I am a big Johnny Cash fan. To me, he's one of the greatest musicians of all time. But after decades of success, his career had reached a low point in the early 1990s. His still had his vast musical catalog, of course, but few were interested in his new albums. Then producer Rick Rubin stepped in. He gave Cash's career a rebirth with the album "American Recordings," recorded in 1993 and released in 1994. Cash was recorded in totally stripped down mode, just him and his acoustic guitar, and he was given a bunch of very interesting songs to play. Personally, I consider "American Recordings" a five-star album, and it's my favorite Cash album.

But it turns out the 13 songs on "American Recordings" were far from the only songs recorded for that album. He played dozens more, then he and Rubin picked out their favorites for the album. So what happened to all the rest? In 2003, the same year Cash died, the box set "Unearthed" was released, and many more songs that Cash recorded in 1993 in acoustic mode appeared on that. But, surprisingly, many were not included on that, and remain officially unreleased to this day.

In the late 1990s, a bootleg appeared called "American Outtakes" that was nothing but outtakes from the 1993 Rubin-produced recording sessions. That came out before "Unearthed," so some songs on it later were officially released. What I've done here is remove all the released songs. Happily, that still leaves 45 minutes' worth of music, which is an ideal album length, in my opinion.

The bootleg has excellent sound. However, I've edited many of the songs, because the bootleg took a "warts and all" approach, including false starts. Most of those are just Cash playing a few seconds of the song and then stopping, often because he has to cough. So unless you're a big fan of hearing people cough, you're not missing anything from having the false starts removed. I also made an edit to "All of God's Children Ain't Free" because that, alone of all of the songs on the album, ended prematurely, right in the middle of a chorus. I patched in the rest of the chorus from earlier in the song to give it a proper ending.

Is this album as good as "American Recordings?" No. That album has some really great songs, many of them specifically written for it. This is more of a collection of traditional songs, and redone songs from earlier in Cash's career. But still, as Cash albums go, it's one of my favorites. Since Cash died in 2003, there have been some archival albums released, including some from the very end of his life when his voice was failing him. I honestly don't understand why that material has been released, and yet this hasn't, back when his voice and musical powers were at the best.

By the way, not all the songs are just Cash and his acoustic guitar. "I Witnessed a Crime" has Billy Gibbons, the guitarist from ZZ Top, playing guitar on it. Also, the last two songs have some other instruments on them. But they don't have drums of them, and they're still acoustic in nature.

01 What On Earth Will You Do for Heaven's Sake (Johnny Cash)
02 The Drifter (Johnny Cash)
03 I Witnessed a Crime (Johnny Cash with Billy Gibbons)
04 The Next Time I'm in Town (Johnny Cash)
05 To Beat the Devil (Johnny Cash)
06 Friends in California (Johnny Cash)
07 The Wonder of You (Johnny Cash)
08 East Virginia Blues (Johnny Cash)
09 Go On Blues (Johnny Cash)
10 Go Where I Send Thee (Johnny Cash)
11 Loving Her Was Easier [Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again] (Johnny Cash)
12 T for Texas [Solo Version] (Johnny Cash)
13 Bad News (Johnny Cash)
14 All of God's Children Ain't Free (Johnny Cash)
15 One More Ride (Johnny Cash)
16 Don't Sell Daddy Any More Whiskey (Johnny Cash)
17 The Devil (Johnny Cash)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15602890/JohnnyC_1993_AmericnOuttakes_atse.zip.html

There have been various versions of this bootleg released, with various titles and covers. I picked a cover that I particularly liked. It's very much in line with the look of the "American Recordings" cover. I shortened the title.

12 comments:

  1. Two thumbs up! I agree with you on this one for sure, an excellent choice. I was never really a country music fan, but when the "American Recordings" came out I feel in love with Johnny's voice. I've had a copy of these outtakes since about 2009 and have never gotten around to doing anything with them... so a BIG thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. There wasn't much for me to do here except removing the officially released songs.

      Delete
  2. Many thanks, I always liked JC. Saw his live show once in Australia in 1970, with Carter Family & Carl Perkins - a wonderful night of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you. I never got to see him in concert.

      Delete
  3. Any chance of posting this on something else, I can't get it through zippyshare. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you asked, I just added it to my shared folders through the Soulseek app.

      Delete
  4. Popped in my 15+ old boot today and upon a little google found your write up. Cheers! Thanks for doing what you do on the liberation front. Gonna dog more into your work.

    As far as this album goes, it is such a great companion to AR1, of what I consider a top 10 album of the nineties. Never been a huge fan of the rest of the series, but putting these together is really all you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I think the rest of the series has a lot going for it, especially "Unchained."

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great collection. Nicely done. Question: Is there a list of everything that Johnny Cash recorded in Rick Rubin's living room with just him and a guitar?

    I love this stuff so much more than the later stuff he recorded with the Heartbreakers, as good as that stuff is...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one Ill check them out shortly. Neve even knew these existed until about 10 minutes ago.

    ReplyDelete