Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Dusty Springfield - A Girl Called Dusty - Alternate Version (1964)

I've been posting Dusty Springfield albums in a seemingly random order, and that trend continues here. ;) My problem was that I wasn't sure how to organize the first couple of years of her career. But I've finally sorted that out, and I can post that stuff, starting with this, her first album.

Springfield's first few albums are a confusing mess to sort out, because not only where the American and British versions different, but there were songs only released in the US in the 1960s, and other songs only released in Britain in the 1960s. And later on, both American and British albums had unique bonus tracks added to them. Maybe the point was the get the consumer to buy albums from both countries, despite lots of overlap. I'm trying to fix that by treating the British albums seriously and using the US albums only as fodder for stray tracks.

I wasn't sure whether to post this particular album or not, because it doesn't actually differ that much from the British album "A Girl Called Dusty," which is included here in full. But I've added extra songs, and this time in her career is very confusing.

I've included "I Only Want to Be with You." That song was a number four hit in Britain and a top ten hit (or nearly so) in many other countries, including the US. Its success allowed her to have a prominent and successful solo career right from the get-go. I've also included its B-side, "Once upon a Time."

That's followed by all of the British" A Girl Called Dusty" album, in order.

The bonus tracks are my three favorite songs from the Springfields, the band Dusty Springfield was in before going solo. I could have added more, but the focus here is on her solo career, and I just wanted to include the bare minimum of Springfield songs to mark their place in her career. Plus, to be honest, I'm not that big of a fan of the Springfields ' music. I think Dusty was much better served singing solo than being part of a vocal harmony group.

This album is 37 minutes long, not including the bonus tracks.

01 I Only Want to Be with You (Dusty Springfield)
02 Once upon a Time (Dusty Springfield)
03 Mama Said (Dusty Springfield)
04 You Don't Own Me (Dusty Springfield)
05 Do Re Mi [Forget about the Do and Think about Me] (Dusty Springfield)
06 When the Lovelight Starts Shining through His Eyes (Dusty Springfield)
07 My Coloring Book (Dusty Springfield)
08 Mockingbird (Dusty Springfield)
09 Twenty-Four Hours from Tulsa (Dusty Springfield)
10 Nothing (Dusty Springfield)
11 Anyone Who Had a Heart (Dusty Springfield)
12 Will You Love Me Tomorrow (Dusty Springfield)
13 Wishin' and Hopin' (Dusty Springfield)
14 Don't You Know (Dusty Springfield)

Breakaway (Springfields)
Island of Dreams (Springfields)
Silver Threads and Golden Needles (Springfields)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15602585/DstySpr_1964_AGirlCalldDstyAlternte_atse.zip.html

The cover art is simply the cover of the "A Girl Called Dusty" album, unchanged.

2 comments: