Friday, May 17, 2019

Richard Thompson - Daring Adventures & Amnesia - Acoustic Version (1986-1988)

I've been posting three kinds of Richard Thompson albums. One is the usual stray tracks collection, usually full band performances. Another is acoustic stray tracks. And the third is acoustic versions of his official albums.

Unfortunately, Thompson typically has not played acoustic versions of all of the songs on his albums, either in concert or in the studio. For some albums, he has played all or most, but not these two, "Daring Adventures" from 1986 and "Amnesia" from 1988. So this is like a perfectly split album. I have 28 minutes worth of acoustic versions of "Daring Adventures" songs and 28 minutes of acoustic versions of "Amnesia" songs. I could have made two frustratingly short albums, but instead I've bundled them together.

My main aims here have been to find good performances of the songs at the best sound quality. So I didn't restrict myself to just the year or so each album came out. The performances here range from 1984 to 1992. By widening my search like that, I was able to get excellent sound quality for pretty much all the songs. Six of the 15 songs here were done in the studio. The rest are from concerts, but I think they're all from soundboard recordings. Only one song is officially released.

I'm happy with what I found, with one exception. The version of "Don't Tempt Me" here is very short, exactly one minute long, compared to three and a half minutes for the studio album version. The reason for that is that Thompson didn't like to play that sound just in a solo acoustic format, so he only played part of the song, due to an insistent request. But I figure part of the song is better than none at all.

01 A Bone through Her Nose (Richard Thompson)
02 Valerie (Richard Thompson)
03 Missie How You Let Me Down (Richard Thompson)
04 Nearly in Love (Richard Thompson)
05 Jennie (Richard Thompson)
06 How Will I Ever Be Simple Again (Richard Thompson)
07 Al Bowlly's in Heaven (Richard Thompson)
08 Turning of the Tide (Richard Thompson)
09 Reckless Kind (Richard Thompson)
10 Jerusalem on the Jukebox (Richard Thompson)
11 I Still Dream (Richard Thompson)
12 Don't Tempt Me (Richard Thompson)
13 Can't Win (Richard Thompson)
14 Waltzing's for Dreamers (Richard Thompson)
15 Pharaoh (Richard Thompson)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15852284/RichrdT_1986-1988_DringAdvnturesAmnsiaAcoustc_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I simply used half of the covers of the two studio albums, then added some text at the bottom.

2 comments: