Friday, May 31, 2019

The Move - BBC Sessions, Volume 3, 1969

This is the third album I've posted of the Move's BBC performances. I really like how there happens to be one album's worth of music per calendar year.


As with the two previous albums, I think the really interesting thing here is the number and variety of cover songs. Five of the 13 BBC performances here are Move originals: "Something," "Beautiful Daughter," "Curly," "Hello Susie," and "Fields of People."

Here's a breakdown of who did the originals for the rest:

The Birthday - Idle Race
Goin' Out of My Head - Little Anthony and the Imperials
Evil Woman - Crow
The Sound of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel
Abraham, Martin and John - Dion
Open My Eyes - Nazz
Walk Right Back - Everly Brothers

Once again, it's notable that not only did they seem more interested in playing covers than their own songs, they sometimes played fairly recent hits by their competitors. For instance, "Evil Woman" was a hit by Crow when the Move played it at the BBC. I applaud their approach of playing whatever good songs they liked, even if that didn't help them sell their latest records.

I've added two bonus tracks of sorts at the end that actually aren't BBC performances at all, but I didn't have a better place to stick them. On the 1968 BBC collection, I included three songs recorded by Ace Kefford, who was bassist for the Move until he had to leave in mid-1968 due to mental issues. Those three songs were recorded in 1968 for a solo album that never got released at the time. Here are two more that he recorded in 1969 and also didn't get released until decades later. I think they would have made solid Move songs.

Two songs, a cover of "Good Times" by the Easybeats and a cover of "Rock and Roll Woman" by the Buffalo Springfield, come from a bootleg. Originally, I didn't think they were even worry of inclusion as bonus tracks. However, I did some editing, such as patching in a chorus from one part of the song to help with a chorus in a rougher sounding part of the song. Then I got my musical associate MZ to work on them. He managed to make them a little bit clearer. So at least now they're listenable, but still rough.

This album is 41 minutes long, not including the bonus tracks.

01 The Birthday (Move)
02 Beautiful Daughter (Move)
03 Goin' Out of My Head (Move)
04 Evil Woman (Move)
05 Curly (Move)
06 The Sound of Silence (Move)
07 Abraham, Martin and John (Move)
08 Open My Eyes (Move)
09 Hello Susie (Move)
10 Fields of People (Move)
11 Walk Right Back (Move)
12 Gravy Booby Jamm (Ace Kefford Stand)
13 This World's an Apple (Ace Kefford & Big Bertha)

Good Times [Edit] (Move)
Rock and Roll Woman [Edit] (Move)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15266765/TMve_1969_BBSessionsVolume3_atse.zip.html

For the cover art, I'm glad to say that I found an actual photo of the Move performing for the BBC in 1969. This comes from an appearance on the BBC TV show "Colour Me Pop."

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to be a pedant but Evil Woman is the song by Spooky Tooth.
    Thanks for a great site.

    ReplyDelete