Saturday, May 11, 2019

Joan Osborne - Under the Covers, Volume 3 (1993-1998)

Here's the third, and apparently final, version of my Joan Osborne series "Under the Covers." As with the previous two, these are all live cover versions of classic songs.

It's the last, because Osborne put out an album of mostly original material, "Relish," in 1995. Then, starting in 2000, she began putting out more albums of mostly or all original material. As a result, she's had long stretches where she's done little to no covers in concert, and when she does covers, they tend to be the songs from this series or covers from her albums. I will have more material like this to post eventually, but not after a long gap in her career.

If you know the two previous albums in this series, you should know the deal. Osborne sings her soulful ass off, as usual. Maybe the only significant difference is that a few of the songs here are more recent and/or obscure. "Little Angel, Little Brother" is a Lucinda Williams song from 1992. "People Have the Power" is a Patti Smith song from 1988. "The World Is Mine" is a Cracker song from 1998 played with Cracker that year.

01 Papa Was a Rolling Stone (Joan Osborne)
02 Little Angel, Little Brother (Joan Osborne)
03 Son of a Preacher Man (Joan Osborne)
04 [Sittin' On] The Dock of the Bay (Joan Osborne)
05 Brick House (Joan Osborne)
06 Bring Me Some Water (Melissa Etheridge & Joan Osborne)
07 On Broadway (Joan Osborne)
08 Beast of Burden (Joan Osborne with Tony Rich)
09 People Have the Power (Joan Osborne)
10 Spooky (Joan Osborne & Isaac Hayes with David Sanborn)
11 The World Is Mine (Joan Osborne with Cracker)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15847312/JoanO_1993-1998_UndrCovrsVolume3_atse.zip.html

The cover art is based on a photo of Osborne in concert in Chicago in 1995.

5 comments:

  1. Your musical constructions have given me great pleasure, so thanks much. Your recent collections of covers by Joan Osborne have been particularly fine--what a voice! I saw her live 2 years ago backed only by a piano player, and you could feel just how big that voice is. After explaining to the audience that she enjoyed her time as "the chick singer in the Grateful Dead," she did some excellent Dead covers--"New Speedway Boogie,""Candyman," "Bertha," and "Uncle John's Band". Which brings me to the question, do you know of anyone who's put together a good collection of songs she sang with The Dead (e.g. in 2003) or Phil Lesh & Friends (e.g. in 2005, 2006, and 2017)? I've listened to some of those soundboards, but to me the music is only so-so until she steps up to sing the lead and the bandstand REALLY lifts (I swear I can hear Phil smiling through the speakers)! Not that I'm hinting or anything. As a DJ friend of mine says when I make radio requests, "Hey Marco, get your own damn show!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. It's hard to tell if someone is enjoying my posts of a lesser known artist like Joan unless someone says something.

      I plan on posting a lot more of her stuff, including highlights of her Dead stuff. I'm not really interested in any Dead or Dead spin-offs after Garcia died, except when Osborne sang. But it'll take me a while to getting to post that since I want to move through her career chronologically.

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul! I absolutely LOVE this blog... I spent the last two days happily wandering through it, downloading tons of good stuff. I was so excited to see three albums of Joan Osborne covers (I love her). But then heartbroken when I saw that numbers 1 and 3 had expired on Zippyshare. Might I request a re-upload? I'm currently listening to the great Morgan James covers -- thanks for introducing me to her. Anyway, thanks for a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just updated the links to all three of the Joan Osborne covers albums. I fixed some volume balances issues.

      I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Morgan James. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Paul!!! I really appreciate it! I love Joan Osborne's voice. I'll be listening to these all day!

      Delete