Friday, May 3, 2019

David Bowie - Tonight - Alternate Version (1984)

So far, I've posted a series of stray tracks albums for David Bowie stretching from about 1966 to 1982. I said that's where the series ends, because I think the quality of his music goes way down for many years thereafter. But he does have one last hurrah with "Let's Dance" in 1983. It's just that i don't know of any stray tracks associated with it.

Then, the "Tonight" album in 1984 has some good moments. I think he jumped the shark with "Never Let Me Down" in 1987, which was just terrible. Even Bowie later pretty much admitted it was terrible. It took him a long time to find his groove again after that.

In my opinion, only about half of "Tonight" is worth hearing. But luckily, Bowie put out a handful of songs that were also good in 1985 and 1986 before things really went south for him for a while. It so happens that by adding the good songs from "Tonight" with the other good songs from that time, one gets an album's length of songs. So that's what I've done here.

The extra songs come from four sources. First, there's "This Is Not America," which Bowie did with Pat Metheny for a movie soundtrack. I think that's a great song that tends to get forgotten since it didn't make it on any Bowie album at the time. Next, there's "When the Wind Blows," the title song to an anti-nuclear movie. Then there are two songs from the "Absolute Beginners" soundtrack, and one more from the "Labyrinth" soundtrack. Actually, both of those soundtracks have more Bowie songs, but unfortunately I don't think those songs are very good.

In addition, I used an alternate version of the song "Loving the Alien." That song is on the "Tonight" album, but I think that version was way too long at over seven minutes. I'm using the single version, which is four and a half minutes long. (I don't have a problem with a long song if it stays interesting, but some long songs just repeat and get boring.)

If you add up everything on this album, it totals 43 minutes. Interestingly enough, this isn't that far off from the bonus tracks that were later added to the "Tonight" album. That adds three of the same five song I added. But I think with the "Tonight" album, less is more, and it's greatly improved by removing some of the songs.

Speaking of less being more, right during this time period, in 1985, Bowie and Mick Jagger made a duet version of the 1960s Motown classic "Dancing in the Street." It hit number one in Britain and was at least a top ten hit in many other countries. But that version is just awful! It, and its lame video, are widely mocked today. So this album is better off by not having that song on it. If you want to hear "Dancing in the Street," please listen to the awesome original by Martha and the Vandellas instead.

01 Loving the Alien [Remix Version] (David Bowie)
02 Tonight (David Bowie with Tina Turner)
03 Blue Jean (David Bowie)
04 Tumble and Twirl (David Bowie)
05 I Keep Forgetting (David Bowie)
06 This Is Not America (David Bowie & Pat Metheny)
07 When the Wind Blows (David Bowie)
08 That's Motivation (David Bowie)
09 Absolute Beginners (David Bowie)
10 As the World Falls Down (David Bowie)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15106889/DavidB_1984_TonghtAlternatVersion_atse.zip.html

For the cover, I just used the "Tonight" cover without any changes.

14 comments:

  1. Just wondering the reasoning behind having 'As the World Falls Down' as both #7 & #10. I see that #10 is shorter, so I'm assuming it's a single edit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Thanks for catching that, and so quickly. No, I simply made a mistake. I meant to put a totally different song in one of those slots. I've just updated the post to fix it.

      Delete
  2. thanx for posting all these
    bowie posts
    really good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please re-post the alternate Tonight? I'm getting a message saying file does not exist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just fixed the link. I also improved the volume balance between songs while I was at it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to say I downloaded it and it was part of my backup drive data loss. The link is not working again ("File Not Found"). Could you please repost this album again? Thanks and sorry I have to ask again.

      Delete
    3. I just fixed the link again. See if that works.

      Delete
    4. The link now works perfectly. Thanks very much for the repost.

      Delete
  4. I remember in a book I read about Bowie from 1998-1999 where Reeves Gabrels mentioned he listened to the demos in that record but a lot of the production ended up sucking the life out of what Bowie wanted as he did something that was un-Bowie like. He compromised.

    What did you think of the 2018 version of Never Let Me Down? Honestly, I thought it was a much better version than the original version as it definitely felt less polished and the songs were easier to get into. "Zeroes", "Glass Spider", "Bang Bang", and "Beat of Your Drum" really were the highlights in that version. I also like "Shining Star" with Laurie Anderson providing the vocals as it just added a cool aspect to that record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the 2018 version and I like it better, but I wish they would have changed it even more than they did. Plus, you can only do so much with poor material.

      Delete
  5. Hi Paul,
    I love this site - immense work, thank you very much.
    The alternate Tonight file does not exist on the link anymore, could you repost that ?
    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Paul,
    unfortunately the to the alternate Tonight file still does not work.
    I would be wonderful, if you can fix it agagin.
    Cheers
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your hard work, unfortunately the link on this post is dead. It would be great if you could reupload the file please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This album link is dead, just FYI! Would love to hear it if you re-upload!

    ReplyDelete