Friday, May 24, 2019

Robyn Hitchcock - Jewels for Sophia - Acoustic Versions (1999)

As always, I have more Robyn Hitchcock to post. I swear, I don't think I'm ever going to run out of albums of his to post here. He's incredibly prolific.

Hitchcock released the album "Jewels for Sophia" in 1999. It's one of my top five albums from him, for sure. This album has all-acoustic versions of the songs from that album. Happily, I was able to find acoustic versions for all of the songs from the album (with the partial exception of the bonus track "Mr. Tongs," which he has never played in concert). Since the album is so good, it goes without saying that the acoustic versions are good too.

The only possible issue would be sound quality. I'm glad to say that's very good as well. Nearly all of these are taken from soundboard bootlegs, and sound like they've been recorded in the studio. One exception is the song "Jewels for Sophia." The sound on that one is pretty good, but you can hear a little bit of audience chatter.

01 Mexican God (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 The Cheese Alarm (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Viva Sea-Tac (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 I Feel Beautiful (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 You've Got a Sweet Mouth on You, Baby (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 NASA Clapping (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Sally Was a Legend (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Antwoman (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 Elizabeth Jade (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 No, I Don't Remember Guildford (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 Dark Princess (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 Jewels for Sophia (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15272401/RobynH_1999_Jewels_forSophiAcoustic_ersions_atse.zip.html

The album cover uses a painting done by Hitchcock. I don't know if it's been used by him on some album art already. If you've seen it elsewhere, please let me know and I'll replace it with something else. I also don't know what year it's from. To be honest, it has no connection to these songs whatsoever, but I like it and felt like using it here. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment