Saturday, August 17, 2024

The Greg Kihn Band - Henry Maier Festival Park Stage, Milwaukee, WI, 7-4-1983

Greg Kihn died two days ago as I write this in August 2024. He died from complications related to Alzheimer's disease, at the age of 75. I'm not a big fan of his music by any means. I basically only knew his two big hits, "The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)" and "Jeopardy." But to mark his passing and honor his music career, I decided to post something, and this album is the result.

At first, I went looking to see if there were any BBC concerts worth posting, since I make a point of trying to post lots of BBC material in general. It turns out there were, BBC concerts from 1981 and 1983. However, both of them were relatively short, well less than an hour long. I decided I like this concert a lot better. I think if one were to get just one Greg Kihn concert, it would be this one. For one thing, it look place in 1983, just after the release of his second big hit, "Jeopardy." But also, it contains an unusual amount of interesting cover versions of classic songs - I count eight, including the last five songs in a row. Most of those were never released on album by him. So that makes it easier to get into this, even if you don't know a lot of Kihn's original songs. 

As far as I know, this is officially unreleased. The sound quality is excellent because it was broadcast live at the time on a radio station. I found a bunch of different versions of this, but this one is rare in that it contains the complete concert.

This album is an hour and 29 minutes long.

01 Paint, It Black (Greg Kihn Band)
02 Fascination (Greg Kihn Band)
03 Tear That City Down (Greg Kihn Band)
04 [Get Your Kicks On] Route 66 (Greg Kihn Band)
05 Talking to Myself (Greg Kihn Band)
06 Happy Man (Greg Kihn Band)
07 Every Love Song (Greg Kihn Band)
08 Someday (Greg Kihn Band)
09 talk (Greg Kihn Band)
10 Jeopardy (Greg Kihn Band)
11 I Fall to Pieces (Greg Kihn Band)
12 Too Bad (Greg Kihn Band)
13 Can't Stop Hurtin' Myself (Greg Kihn Band)
14 The Breakup Song [They Don't Write 'Em] (Greg Kihn Band)
15 Testify (Greg Kihn Band)
16 Roadrunner (Greg Kihn Band)
17 Train Kept A-Rollin' (Greg Kihn Band)
18 Just My Imagination [Running Away with Me] (Greg Kihn Band)
19 Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (Greg Kihn Band)
20 talk (Greg Kihn Band)
21 The Kids Are Alright (Greg Kihn Band)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16979573/TGREGKHNBND1983HnryMierFstivlPrkStgeMlwukeWI__7-4-1983_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is from 1983, but I don't know the details.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man - this one is a gut punch! Thank you for the show - I posted this on another site - Power pop essential songs for any playlist - "The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)" and "Jeopardy". A very nice and approachable guy. I was working as a waiter at the North Beach Restaurant in 1981 and was called in for lunch shift. As I entered the "wine Cellar" room used for private events, I was greeted by posters of Greg Kihn and music merch all over the room. Soon, the record label and Greg and band arrived for a 3 hour press and lunch promo party celebrating the success of the "The Breakup Song" . It was a fun filled blast - I was 22 yrs old and the band and I were were the closest in age from the entire group. Wow - the flood of memories from hearing this news... R.I.P Mr. Kihn. You left us with some Great music and a legacy to admire. here is a photo from SF 1978 - [url=https://postimg.cc/FYR8Y4td][img]https://i.postimg.cc/T3q6HdC9/GK-1978.jpg[/img][/url]

    ReplyDelete
  2. photo link https://postimg.cc/FYR8Y4td

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. REPOSTED due to factual error: This concert, in its entirety was made available for broadcast the week of September 2,3,4,5, 1983 by the NBC radio 'Young Adult Network' (THE SOURCE). It was provided on 3 LP's complete with commercial breaks (Listed as Show # NBC 83-35)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for another great show! Sorry that we've lost another great musician.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. A tremendous loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember back in the early 1970s when Greg worked at Rather Ripped Records in Berkeley. I used to frequent the record store with my brother when we were quite young. We'd ride the bus for an hour and walk through the UC Berkeley Campus to get up to the store at the corner of Euclid and Hearst. We were friendly with Greg, and would later go see him play when he formed his band. Always the coolest guy. It was sad to hear of his passing, but I always loved that he was passionate about the music he wrote and played with his band, and also the stuff he played as a Radio Deejay. He will be missed here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! When he passed I went to look at what I had from him which I hadn't already listened to and it was just one concert. Didn't see anyone posting his albums either. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete