Friday, December 2, 2022

Updated Links: 2018 and 2019

I hate it when you go to a website, find something you want to download, and then discover the link doesn't work. I try to keep the links here working, but the way Zippyshare works, if nobody downloads a particular zip file for 30 days, the link goes dead. I count on people telling me when links die, but apparently you folks haven't been doing enough of that, because I recently noticed lots of dead links. For instance, I've probably posted more Robyn Hitchcock albums here than that of any other artist, and the vast majority of them were dead.

So I've started systematically going through all the links on this blog to find the dead ones and fix them. I've been working in reverse, starting from the albums I posted when the blog began in 2018, since I figure more of the older links have died. It's tedious and time consuming to fix the links though, because at the same time I want to fix the volume balance between songs and the mp3 tags while I'm at it. 

(For about the first three years I posted things here, I didn't pay attention to how some songs were much louder than others. As for mp3 tags, I used to put all the source info in the album field. But then some music players like iTunes treats each different source as a different album. So I've been moving that info the comment field.)

Anyway, by and by I've been making progress. I believe I now have fixed all the links for all the albums I posted in 2018 and 2019. This is a good time to go back to those older posts and grab albums that have had dead links for months or even years.

Here's the link to the oldest page, from 2018. You could work in reverse order from there:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2018-04-21T02:12:00-07:00&max-results=20

Also, while I was doing that, I noticed that some artists had most or sometimes even all dead links. So I've fixed ALL their links, even the ones still working, up to current day, so I could update the volume balance and mp3 tags too. Here are the ones I've fixed in the last few weeks:

Beck
Belle and Sebastian
Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Rosanne Cash
Eric Clapton
Chris Clark
Crosby, Stills, Nash and/or Young
Sheryl Crow
Nick Drake
Duckworth Lewis Method/ Pugwash
Bobbie Gentry
The Guess Who
Petra Haden
Robyn Hitchcock
The Indigo Girls
The Jam
The Kinks
Lone Justice
Los Lobos
Aimee Mann
Maria McKee
Imelda May
Midnight Oil
Van Morrison
The Move
Oasis
Grace Potter
Bonnie Raitt
Reina del Cid
The Rolling Stones
The Soft Boys
Elliott Smith
Dusty Springfield
The Style Council
Richard Thompson
Pete Townshend
Paul Weller
The Who
Lucinda Williams
Neil Young

That's many hundreds of albums that have been improved and reposted recently. Plus there are even more I didn't mention, especially in cases of artists with just an album or two. So this is a great time to dig through this blog's archives, before the links die again. I'm sure there are still lots of dead links, especially from albums I posted in 2020 and 2021, but I'll be fixing those soon as well. My goal is to eventually have every album improved (with better volume balance between songs and changed mp3 tags) and every dead link working again.

If you still see dead links, please let me know and I'll fix them. If anyone wants to check all the links from 2020 to the current day, that would help me even more.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for all you do! It is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to thank you for all you do for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a suitable place to thank for all your efforts in keeping this outstanding blog up and running smoothly. This post is just an example of the love you put into this. Not many bloggers do the work unless it is specifically required by a visitor. It is very much appreciated. Greetings from Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, really appreciate this amazing resousce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that problem as well, seems no one want to let you know the links died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the hard work Paul! I really enjoy this blog.

    ReplyDelete