Sunday, December 4, 2022

Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera - BBC Sessions (1967-1968)

I recently posted an album of stray tracks by the British classic rock band Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera. If you want to know more about this band, read the write-up for that album. Suffice to say this band isn't well known, but should be, because they were very good. I think they would have had a better reputation except for the fact that they broke up after releasing only two studio albums.

Although the band wasn't around for long, they did enough BBC sessions for a reasonably sized album. I had collected most of these a while back, and it had been sitting in my long line of albums to post. Then in 2021, a box set containing all of the band's works was released, including all of their BBC sessions. I was glad to see that, because it had a few more songs that I did, and other songs in better quality. Everything here is sourced from that box set, called "Long Nights of Summer: The Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera Anthology."

Most of the songs are originals, including the classic "Flames." But there are a few covers: "I Feel Like I'm Fixing to Die Rag," "All Along the Watchtower," "Somethin' Else," and "Statesboro Blues."

This album is 37 minutes long.

01 Flames (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
02 Dream Starts (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
03 Reactions of a Young Man (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
04 Mother Writes (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
05 I Feel Like I'm Fixing to Die Rag (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
06 Dreamy (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
07 Air (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
08 All Along the Watchtower (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
09 Mary Jane (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
10 Somethin' Else (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
11 Statesboro Blues (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
12 Water Wheel (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)
13 She Keeps Giving Me These Feelings (Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15111483/ElmerGant_1967-1968_BBSessions_atse.zip.html

There are almost no color photos of this band, at least that I know of. But I found one, which I've used here. I don't know the details of where or when it's from.

No comments:

Post a Comment