Friday, June 14, 2024

Woodstock '94, Winston Farm, Saugerties, NY, 8-12-1994 to 8-14-1994 - Day 1, Part 2: Live

The second full set I was able to find from the Woodstock '94 Festival is a performance from the band Live.

In my opinion, this band has an unfortunate name, because it's easily confused with either common meaning of the word "live," as in "live and let live" or "live performance." Here's the band's Wikipedia page if you want to know more:

Live (band) - Wikipedia

Bad name or not, they had great success in the 1990s. Their biggest year was 1994, due to the release of their album "Throwing Copper" in April. It went on to sell eight million copies in the U.S. 

Due to the massive success of that album, I was surprised their set took place in the middle of the first day, which is where lesser known acts were getting placed. Even though their "Throwing Copper" album was released in April and this concert wasn't until August, I surmised that most of the album's success must have come after this concert. I believe I'm correct, because the band's biggest hit, "Lightning Crashes," wasn't released as a single until one month after this festival. That said, "Lighting Crashes" and other hits from that album, such as "I Alone," were performed in this concert.

As I mentioned previously, I didn't find much music from the first day of the festival. The Live set is the only one from that day that I was able to find as a bootleg with excellent sound quality. That's probably due to the band having much more success than most of the other acts from the festival's first day.

This album is 41 minutes long.

01 Iris (Live)
02 Top (Live)
03 talk (Live)
04 The Beauty of Gray (Live)
05 Selling the Drama (Live)
06 talk (Live)
07 Shit Towne (Live)
08 talk (Live)
09 Lightning Crashes (Live)
10 I Alone (Live)
11 Operation Spirit (Live)
12 talk (Live)
13 White, Discussion (Live)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16750826/VA-WODSTCK94_8-12-1994_02Lve_atse.zip.html

The cover photo of the band's lead singer Ed Kowalczyk is from this exact concert. It's a bit low res because it's a screenshot from a video.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the name. When Throwing Copper came out, a friend of mine working at a college radio station mentioned that he had a copy of "the Live album" for me, and we did a bit of an unintentional comedy routine as I attempted to ascertain WHOSE live album he had!

    "Selling The Drama" topped the Modern Rock chart in May of that year and had some success at other formats, but it didn't break into the mainstream the way other songs from the album did later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see that turning into a kind of "who's on first" routine.

      Delete