Wednesday, February 7, 2024

No Nukes Concerts, Madison Square Garden, New York City, 9-20-1979: The Doobie Brothers

The next album I'm posting for the 1979 No Nukes concerts is a set by the Doobie Brothers. Hopefully, by now you'll see that many very famous and talented musical acts were part of these concerts. And consider this is still only the fifth out of 16 albums I'll be posting here.

I happy to say this album is a rare case of being an entire set, from September 20th in Madison Square Garden. The entire Doobie Brothers set from September 19th was available too, but it's shorter and with fewer songs (and no different songs), so I just used this one.

As with all the No Nukes albums I'm posting, these come from soundboard bootlegs, so the sound quality is excellent. However, there were a couple of problems with this one. For one thing, the vocals were down in the mix compared to the instruments. So I used the UVR5 program to boost the vocals. The other problem was with the song "Takin' It to the Streets." A chunk of that was missing. But since there's that September 19th concert, I was able to patch in the missing part from that. Hopefully, the transitions are unnoticeable.

The Doobie Brothers were drastically changed in the late 1970s due to a new lead singer, Michael McDonald. They hit a peak of popularity with the album "Minute by Minute," released in late 1978. Five songs here come from that: "Here to Love You," "Dependin' on You," "Minute by Minute," "Sweet Feelin," and "What a Fool Believes." That last song hit Number One in the U.S.

There were some guests to this set. Nicolette Larson had only one hit in her music career. Her cover of Neil Young's "Lotta Love" made the Top Ten in the U.S. in 1978. That same year, she sang co-lead on the Doobie Brothers song "Sweet Feelin'" for their "Minute by Minute" album. So it made sense for her to guest on the songs "Sweet Feelin'" and "Lotta Love" during this set. But I'm guessing she wasn't a big enough of a star to have a set of her own during these concerts.

Perhaps more surprising is that James Taylor joined the Doobie Brothers for their performance of "Takin' It to the Streets," and sang lead vocals through one verse and one chorus. Also, it's likely that the Doobie Brothers were the final act on September 20th, because their set ended with "Power," which usually was the finale in these concerts. I have Bonnie Raitt, Graham Nash, James Taylor and John Hall listed in the credits for that song, but that's just because I ran out of room. Jesse Colin Young, Phoebe Snow, Carly Simon, and many more were on stage for that one too.

Two songs were included on the official "No Nukes" album: "Lotta Love" and "Takin' It to the Streets." But, as usual, I don't know if they were from this night or September 20th. (And I don't even know if the band played on other nights.) Everything else is unreleased.

This album is 52 minutes long.

01 talk (Doobie Brothers)
02 Here to Love You (Doobie Brothers)
03 Take Me in Your Arms [Rock Me a Little While] (Doobie Brothers)
04 Dependin' on You (Doobie Brothers)
05 talk (Doobie Brothers)
06 Minute by Minute (Doobie Brothers)
07 Black Water (Doobie Brothers)
08 talk (Doobie Brothers)
09 Sweet Feelin' (Doobie Brothers & Nicolette Larson)
10 Lotta Love (Doobie Brothers & Nicolette Larson)
11 talk (Doobie Brothers)
12 What a Fool Believes (Doobie Brothers)
13 Long Train Runnin' - I Cheat the Hangman (Doobie Brothers)
14 China Grove (Doobie Brothers)
15 Takin' It to the Streets [Edit] (Doobie Brothers with James Taylor)
16 Power (Doobie Brothers with Bonnie Raitt, Graham Nash, James Taylor & John Hall)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16253691/VA-NONUKS1979MdisnSqurGrdnNwYrkC__9-20-1979_DbiBrthrsatse.zip.html

The cover photo features just lead singer Michael McDonald. It's from one of the No Nukes concerts, but I don't know which one.

10 comments:

  1. By the way, if anyone knows the name of the instrumental at the end of Long Train Runnin', please let me know. It sounds like a totally different song, but I couldn't figure out a name, if it has one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check out the instrumental and see if I can identify it. And thank so much for all of these No Nukes concerts, I have the official release and love it. Is there a recording of CSN? I think they performed as a group. It would also be good to have the Springsteen and Tom Petty sets. Anyway, thanks so much again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, CSN, Springsteen, and Petty sets are coming, and much more. The Petty one is going to be tricky to post since I've had copyright issues with that artist. But I think I have a workaround that'll work.

      Delete
    2. Oh that's so great! I'll be sure to download the TP album as soon as I see it. Thanks so much again, G.

      Delete
    3. My plan for the Petty download is to create a link to another link at a different website. So hopefully that will last.

      Delete
  3. I found that song Paul, and you're correct it is another song! On another DB bootleg that I have (July 4, 1979) that instrumental is credited as 'I Cheat The Hangman (coda).' I listened to that original song and that part is from the closing section. It's from their 1975 Stampede album. The beginning of the 6 and a half minute song includes beautiful vocals and harmonies. Thanks for asking about this, since I was not familiar with that album or song. But there you go, it's called 'I Cheat The Hangman!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to your sleuthing, I just changed the song title and redid the mp3 download. Thanks for that. :)

      Delete
    2. My pleasure. Glad I could help and don't hesitate to ask in the future - it's a challenge... lol

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the McD Doobies music, Paul! Thanks also to Gman for identifying the coda section to Long Train Running. The efforts are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I love the challenge, and I have a great many boots in my personal collection to look through. I'm just glad I was able to find it so easily.

      Delete