Friday, December 29, 2023

Marshall Crenshaw - The Human Jukebox, Volume 6: 2001-2002

I hope everyone had a happy holidays. I'm back with another volume of Marshall Crenshaw performing cover songs. This is the sixth volume so far, and there are still three more to go to get caught up to the present day (as I write this at the end of 2023).

By now, if you know the other volumes in this series, you should know the drill. As usual, I'm struck by the breadth and depth of Crenshaw's musical tastes. He performed a fair number of classic, well known songs here, but also some obscurities. For instance, "When I'm Cleaning Windows" dates to the 1930s, and was considered so racy that the BBC banned it for a while.

All but four songs are unreleased. Those four that are released happen to the the first four. One is from an Aerosmith tribute album, and two more are from a Nick Lowe tribute album.

The fourth released one, "Walk Away Renee," is from an official Crenshaw live album. Ironically, this one had more sound issues than most of the unreleased songs. While the song itself sounded fine, there was some annoying laughing and cheering over the music, including in the middle of the song. So I used UVR5 to wipe that out while keeping the music. Because I did a lot of that, I put "[Edit]" in the title. I also removed cheering from most of the other songs, but just at the end. There were a couple where it was too problematic to remove though. "When I'm Cleaning Windows" also has "[Edit]" in the title. If I remember correctly, that's because he stopped in the middle of song when he forgot how it went. I edited out that mistake.

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 Big Ten Inch Record - Bull Moose Jackson / Aerosmith
02 Cruel to Be Kind - Nick Lowe
03 Television - Nick Lowe
04 Walk Away Renee - Left Banke
05 Danny Says - Ramones
06 I'm Only Sleeping - Beatles
07 The Girl on Death Row - Lee Hazlewood with Duane Eddy
08 El Paso - Marty Robbins
09 Kick Out the Jams - MC5
10 My Little Red Book - Manfred Mann / Love
11 Pushin' Too Hard - Seeds
12 Nervous Breakdown - Eddie Cochran
13 When I'm Cleaning Windows - George Formby
14 Endless Sleep - Jody Reynolds
15 I Want to Tell You - Beatles
16 Beyond the Sea - Charles Trenet / Bobby Darin

Here's the usual song list:

01 Big Ten Inch Record (Marshall Crenshaw)
02 Cruel to Be Kind (Marshall Crenshaw & Christine Ohlman)
03 Television (Marshall Crenshaw)
04 Walk Away Renee [Edit] (Marshall Crenshaw)
05 Danny Says (Marshall Crenshaw)
06 I'm Only Sleeping (Marshall Crenshaw)
07 The Girl on Death Row (Marshall Crenshaw)
08 El Paso (Marshall Crenshaw)
09 Kick Out the Jams (Marshall Crenshaw)
10 My Little Red Book (Marshall Crenshaw)
11 Pushin' Too Hard (Marshall Crenshaw)
12 Nervous Breakdown (Marshall Crenshaw)
13 Cleaning Windows [Edit] (Marshall Crenshaw)
14 Endless Sleep (Marshall Crenshaw)
15 I Want to Tell You (Marshall Crenshaw)
16 Beyond the Sea (Marshall Crenshaw)

This album is 47 minutes long.

https://www.upload.ee/files/16107069/MarshallC_2001-2002_ThHumnJkeboxVolum6_atse.zip.html

The cover photo was take at a concert in Alexandria, Virginia, in January 2002.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, I love your site. Thank you for all the wonderful posts and informed commentary. I don't know if you allow requests/suggestions, and apologies if you don't. But if you do, would you consider doing a series on Mark Lanegan's stray tracks? He recorded so many songs and even whole albums as a guest vocalist in the last 20 years of his life, it's hard to keep track of them all. I have bought many of them, but there's a lot that isn't available any more or is very hard to find. Thank you and happy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete