Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Who - I Like Nightmares - Non-Album Tracks (1980-1981)

Slowly but surely, I've been posting stray tracks albums for the Who. It's taken me a couple of years, but I'm finally getting near the end. This album is for the years 1980 and 1981. I have two more after this that goes all the way to the current day.

The music from this album roughly fits the time frame of the 1981 Who album "Face Dances." Many of the songs here are outtakes from that album, usually released as bonus tracks many years later. I've included two versions of "Dance It Away" because neither version made the album (though a different version did get included as a Pete Townshend B-side at the time), and one version has Roger Daltrey singing lead and the other one has Townshend singing lead. I've also included an alternate version of one of the album tracks, "Don't Let Go the Coat," because this version has Townshend singing lead whereas the album version is sung by Daltrey.

However, "Face Dances" wasn't the only album released during this time period. I didn't include any Townshend solo songs, because I have a whole separate series of stray tracks for Townshend's solo career. But I consider the solo works of Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle fair game here. To be blunt, I think Townshend's solo albums are usually solid all the way through, whereas with Daltrey and Entwistle it's usually more a case of finding a good song here and there.

In 1980, Daltrey released an album called "McVicar" that was tied to a movie of the same name that he acted in. This album is very unusual for a Daltrey solo album in that the full Who backed him on some of the songs. I included two of those, as well as one song from the album without the Who that I consider one of its best songs.

Entwistle released his solo album "Too Late the Hero" in 1981. I particularly like two of the songs from it, so I've included those.

And that's it. Everything here is officially released either as a "Face Dances" outtake, or is from the Daltrey or Entwistle solo albums. The Who did play a lot of concerts during these two years, but there weren't any particularly interesting rarities that weren't done in other years.

This album is 48 minutes long.

01 Don't Let Go the Coat [Pete Townshend Vocal Version] (Who)
02 My Time Is Gonna Come (Roger Daltrey)
03 Free Me (Roger Daltrey & the Who)
04 Without Your Love (Roger Daltrey & the Who)
05 Dance It Away [Pete Townshend Vocal Version] (Who)
06 I Like Nightmares (Who)
07 It's in Ya [It's in You] (Who)
08 Somebody Saved Me (Who)
09 Fallen Angel (John Entwistle)
10 Too Late the Hero (John Entwistle)
11 Dance It Away [Roger Daltrey Vocal Version] (Who)

https://www.imagenetz.de/bTHDQ

For the album cover, I used a promotional photo from 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment