Thursday, January 14, 2021

Cat Stevens - KCET Studios, Los Angeles, CA, 6-8-1971

I'm a very big fan of Cat Stevens' early 1970s music, which was his commercial and critical success. In terms of live recordings, 1971 seems to be the best. By chance, there's very little that's recorded well from 1970 or 1972 (although I've posted a very good 1970 recording here recently), and by 1973 his music changed and he played with a full band. That leaves 1971. Luckily, he played a few concerts that were recorded very well. 

This one has excellent sound because it was broadcast on PBS. This concert hasn't been officially released in full, though I think a track here and there has been included as bonus tracks on archival releases. The one snag with it is that it's relatively short. The portion of this album from the KCET Studios show broadcast on PBS is only 30 minutes long.

I wanted it longer. So I found another concert he played later that month in Berkeley, California, and added in just the songs from it that weren't on the PBS recording. That added another 15 minutes, making the whole thing 45 minutes long. As you'll probably notice when listening to this, the sound quality isn't as good. It still is fairly good, but there's some boomy echo. 

The only problem with the PBS portion is that it got cut off in the middle of the song "Hard Headed Woman." I surmise the TV show just played what they could until time ran out. (That makes me wonder if the rest of the concert was recorded at that same excellent quality, and if we'll ever be able to hear the whole thing.) I edited the song so the first half is from the PBS recording and the second half is from the Berkeley recording. Again, you'll probably notice the change, but I figure that's better than not including the song at all.

01 Moonshadow (Cat Stevens)
02 talk (Cat Stevens)
03 On the Road to Find Out (Cat Stevens)
04 Where Do the Children Play (Cat Stevens)
05 talk (Cat Stevens)
06 Wild World (Cat Stevens)
07 talk (Cat Stevens)
08 Miles from Nowhere (Cat Stevens)
09 talk (Cat Stevens)
10 Longer Boats (Cat Stevens)
11 talk (Cat Stevens)
12 Father and Son (Cat Stevens)
13 talk (Cat Stevens)
14 Hard Headed Woman [Edit] (Cat Stevens)
15 Time (Cat Stevens)
16 Fill My Eyes (Cat Stevens)
17 talk (Cat Stevens)
18 Peace Train (Cat Stevens)
19 talk (Cat Stevens)
20 On the Road to Find Out (Cat Stevens)

https://www.imagenetz.de/adna4

I was surprised that I could find any really excellent concert photos in color from 1971. So I used a black and white one and colorized it using the Pixbim program. This photo was taken in London in September 1971.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, can you tell me please what font you used on the cover.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's simply called Funk. I added the white trim around the letters.

      Delete