Saturday, August 1, 2020

Fleetwood Mac - Live and Rare, Volume 2 (1968-1970)

Yesterday, I posted "Live and Rare, Volume 1." This is more of the same. It's the second and final album dealing with songs Fleetwood Mac played in concert during the Peter Green years that are officially unreleased and were only recorded on rough sounding bootlegs.

As I wrote for that previous volume, beware that the sound is far from perfect. That said, it's very listenable. I make these albums mainly for myself, and I'm not going to put up with something that sounds like crap. Like I wrote yesterday, these often are good sounding songs from otherwise rough sounding bootlegs.

How is that possible? One way is that it often is harder to record vocals well than the instrumentation. And four of the songs this time around are instrumentals. As I explained with that earlier volume, many of these instrumentals have no easily identifiable name. It's likely for at least some of them that they were spontaneous blues jams with no name at all. So I came up with my own names, using the town names. (I had to add the year for two of them, since there are two from Stockholm, Sweden in different years.)

This album ends in early 1970 because that's when Peter Green left the group. Also, when he left, the variety of songs the band played in concert was drastically reduced. I think the live improv instrumentals came to a halt as well.

Both this volume and the previous one are about 50 minutes long.

01 Goin' Down Slow (Fleetwood Mac)
02 San-Ho-Zay [Instrumental] (Fleetwood Mac)
03 Stockholm '69 Improv [Instrumental] (Fleetwood Mac)
04 Gothenburg Improv [Instrumental] (Fleetwood Mac)
05 If You Let Me Love You (Fleetwood Mac)
06 All Over Again [I've Got a Mind to Give Up Living] (Fleetwood Mac)
07 It Takes Time (Fleetwood Mac)
08 Stockholm '70 Improv [Instrumental] (Fleetwood Mac)


As with the cover art for Volume 1, I didn't have a lot of great photos of the entire Fleetwood Mac band, so I decided to use one of lead guitarist Peter Green, at a further tribute to his recent passing (which happened a few days ago as I write this).

No comments:

Post a Comment