Saturday, March 7, 2020

U2 - Salome - Non-Album Tracks (1991-1992)

Yesterday, I posted an album of stray tracks from U2's "Achtung Baby" era. That album, by the way, has sold 20 million copies and is on many lists of the top 100 albums of all time. But U2 was so prolific during their recording sessions for that album that I was able to make not one, but two, albums of stray tracks. So here's the second one.

Check out my post for the other album, "Blow Your House Down," for a general overview. That album mostly consists of bonus tracks that were later released on a deluxe version of "Achtung Baby." By contrast, this album mostly consists of B-sides. Most of those were first released in 1992, because "Achtung Baby" was released in November 1991 and most of the singles came out in 1992. But it's a very good bet that most or all of these were actually recorded in 1991 while the band was working on the album.

This time, like the other U2 stray tracks album I posted for this period, I've included two unreleased songs, which happen to be the first two. Also as with that other album, I could have included a lot more, since there are plenty more unreleased songs available on bootleg, but I wanted to keep my standards high. Many of those others, in my opinion, are more early versions of songs that were released later instead of totally separate songs. You can hear on some of these how bits and pieces were recycled here and there. U2 did a lot of that in this time. Again, if you think I missed a particularly good unreleased song, please let me know and I'll reconsider.

Four of the songs here are covers of famous tunes: "Satellite of Love" by the Velvet Underground / Lou Reed, "Paint It, Black," by the Rolling Stones, "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, and "Can't Help Falling in Love" made famous by Elvis Presley. I believe all the rest are U2 originals.

"Slow Dancing" is an unusual case. I have three different versions of this song that I'll be putting on three different stray tracks albums. First, there's this version recorded in concert that's basically a solo acoustic rendition from 1992. Then there's a studio version that was a B-side in 1993, which I'll put on my next album for the band. Finally, there's a 1997 studio version that's a duet with Willie Nelson, which will go on a still later album. Luckily, it's a good song, and all three versions are significantly different and interesting, or I wouldn't use all three.

01 Take You Down (U2)
02 Sweet Baby Jane (U2)
03 Satellite of Love (U2)
04 Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk - Korova 1 (U2)
05 Paint It, Black (U2)
06 Lady with the Spinning Head [UVI] (U2)
07 Salome (U2)
08 Fortunate Son (U2)
09 Where Did It All Go Wrong (U2)
10 Can't Help Falling in Love [Triple Peaks Remix] (U2)
11 Slow Dancing [Live Acoustic] (U2)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15256855/UTwo_1991-1992_Salme_atse.zip.html

As I noted with the other stray tracks album from this era, U2 got very artistic with their covers during this time. Rather than try to duplicate that from scratch, I took the simpler path of using the covers to their singles from the album. I selected the cover to the "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" single. All I did was remove that song title from the top and replace it with my own.

20 comments:

  1. Hi mate any chance of reuploading this one. the link is dead.
    love your reimagined albms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - sorry to bother you but is there any chance of fixing this one again? "File not found on server" message. All the others bar this and Blow Your House Down are working fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm.. please reload. link is dead again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid the files do not exist on this server too. Could you please repost this one as well? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey again, i keep missing the file when its uploaded again. its the only U2 one that keeps going dead
    any chance of another upload please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, why does this one keep dying? Anyway, I just fixed the link again.

      Delete
  6. This one and the previous one are dead links (again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh! This album seems cursed. I just fixed the link, and the other one.

      Delete
  7. I hate to tell you the link is not found again. Any chance for a reup please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn! What the hell? Blackdogrdc, I blame you! No, just kidding. But it seems this album is curved.

      I just updated the link again.

      Delete
  8. I would to get this compilation. The download has expired and I'm unable to connect to you on Soulseek. Could you please re-up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just fixed the links to this one and Blow Your House Down. I'm using non Zippyshare links, since there seems to be a problem with those for these two albums.

      Delete
  9. This works now - thanks again. A very coherent album and love the flow. Remember the fuss about the released bootlegged tracks in 1990/1991, rumoured to be from a Berlin bin.

    ReplyDelete