Friday, May 4, 2018

George Harrison - Acoustic Versions (1969-1970)

A couple of days ago, I posted the George Harrison bootleg "Beware of ABKCO." That's a must-have acoustic collection of songs that were being considered for the "All Things Must Pass" album. These are all the stray tracks from him I've found that date from around that time. A few of the songs are the same as songs on "Beware of ABKCO," but they're different versions.

The album starts with "I'd Have You Any Time," done by Harrison and Bob Dylan just after they wrote it together at Dylan's house at the tail end of 1968. Even though that's the only song with Dylan on it, I chose a picture of Harrison and Dylan as the album cover since it dates from that exact time.

The next three songs are demos Harrison recorded for the Beatles, and were included on the Beatles' Anthology 3. It's fine to listen to those in a Beatles context, but I think it's also fitting to hear them in this solo acoustic context. The song after that was played by Harrison for the other Beatles during the Let It Be recording sessions in early 1969.

After that, it's pretty much all Harrison solo takes as he worked up to making his opus "All Things Must Pass." Many of them come from the "Early Takes, Volume 1" album. Although I'd like to note that the song "Isn't It a Pity" was actually written back in 1966, and was considered for various Beatles albums, including Revolver! What a shame that the other Beatles undervalued Harrison's songwriting, and didn't even properly record a great song like that one.

This album is only 31 minutes long. I could have made it longer, but I wanted to keep to the all-acoustic format. I have another album coming of other stray songs he did from that time with a band. I also have more acoustic takes from 1971 onwards.

01 I'd Have You Anytime (George Harrison & Bob Dylan)
02 All Things Must Pass (George Harrison)
03 Old Brown Shoe (George Harrison)
04 Something (George Harrison)
05 Window Window (George Harrison)
06 Isn't It a Pity (George Harrison)
07 Behind that Locked Door (George Harrison)
08 My Sweet Lord (George Harrison)
09 Apple Scruffs (George Harrison)
10 Woman Don't You Cry for Me (George Harrison)
11 Mama, You've Been on My Mind (George Harrison)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15119201/GeorgeH_1969-1970_AcoustcVersions_atse.zip.html

I'm not sure what year the cover art photo dates from, but I'd guess 1970 or thereabouts.

3 comments:

  1. Much better cover all the way around.

    Thumbs up for all you do here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surfing for Mary Travers tracks eventually lead me here, & I'm very happy it did! Wow, thanks, you've really boosted the George "MixTape" on my iPod!

    ReplyDelete