Friday, October 11, 2019
Ray Davies - Sane - Various Songs (2002-2012)
Unfortunately, he hasn't released as much material as one would expect. For instance, he went from 1998 to 2006 without releasing an album, apparently because he couldn't get a record deal on terms that he was happy with. This is a collection of stray tracks, but there aren't that many tracks, relatively speaking. He almost never plays unreleased songs in concert, and bootlegs of solo studio recordings haven't leaked. I had to stretch out over an entire decade to find enough songs to make up an album.
But, happily, what's lacking in quantity is made up for with quality. All these songs are solid. In fact, I'd say this is just as good a listen as his albums from around the same time. For instance, I'd consider "Thanksgiving Day" to be one of his very best solo songs, but it only was released as a bonus track for one of his albums.
I've kind of cheated a bit in that two of the songs here - "Vietnam Cowboys" and "The Voodoo Walk" - appear on one of those albums. But these are demo versions that were released as bonus tracks. I figure they're different enough to merit inclusion.
The last four songs are officially unreleased. One, "Sane," is a studio recording that somehow got released on the Internet, but never actually appeared on record. The other three are rare examples of unreleased songs that got played in concert. In his introduction to "Depressed I Am Not," he mentioned that song was one of many songs he wrote for Frank Sinatra (!) that remain unreleased. I suspect he has a large number of unreleased songs in the vaults. I hope he'll share more with us someday.
01. Yours Sincerely, Confused N10 (Ray Davies with Jools Holland)
02. Thanksgiving Day (Ray Davies)
03. Angola [Wrong Side of the Law] (Ray Davies)
04. I, The Victim (Ray Davies)
05. Vietnam Cowboys [Demo] (Ray Davies)
06. The Voodoo Walk [Demo] (Ray Davies)
07. Postcard from London (Ray Davies & Chrissie Hynde)
08. Depressed I Am Not (Ray Davies & the Leisure Society)
09. Be Happy (Ray Davies & The Leisure Society)
10. Sane (Ray Davies)
11. A Better Thing (Ray Davies)
The covert art photo is of Davies in 2006.