Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Dusty Springfield - Alternate TV and Radio Appearances, Volume 4: 1969-1973

This is the fourth and last of the albums dealing with Dusty Springfield performing songs on TV or radio that she'd released on record. I've posted an entire separate series of albums of her performing songs on TV and radio that she didn't release on record. So with this album, I'm finishing up posting all the stuff I've had from her on TV and radio.

As I said before, there never has been any official live album from her prime years in the 1960s and early 1970s, and not even any bootlegs from that time. So these TV and radio performances is probably all we're ever going to get in terms of hearing her perform live from that time period.

Like the last album in this series, only two of the songs have been officially released, "The Windmills of Your Mind," and "Son of a Preacher Man." The other ones generally are very good in terms of sound quality. But there are some that sound a little worse, mostly due to slightly muffled recording of her TV show appearances, taken from YouTube videos.

Unfortunately, the amount of performances peters out in the early 1970s. She was still popular in 1969 with her big hit "Son of a Preacher Man," but her popularity slid after that, which meant she had fewer opportunities to appear on TV or the radio. After about 1973, her career pretty much petered out altogether, apparently hindered by lots of drug use. Happily, she pulled herself together and had a career comeback in the late 1970s that continued through the end of her life. But I personally am far less interested in that phrase of her career. Her singing ability was still great, but I have issues with both the production and song choices (not just with her, but with musical trends in general).

Thus, this is where this series ends. 

This album is 45 minutes long.

01 Morning [Bom Dia] (Dusty Springfield)
02 Love Power (Dusty Springfield)
03 Am I the Same Girl (Dusty Springfield)
04 No Stranger Am I (Dusty Springfield)
05 The Windmills of Your Mind (Dusty Springfield)
06 A Brand New Me (Dusty Springfield)
07 Son of a Preacher Man (Dusty Springfield)
08 Silly, Silly Fool (Dusty Springfield)
09 How Can I Be Sure (Dusty Springfield)
10 I Wanna Be a Free Girl (Dusty Springfield)
11 Just a Little Lovin' (Dusty Springfield)
12 Won't Be Long (Dusty Springfield)
13 Packin' Up (Dusty Springfield)
14 Yesterday When I Was Young (Dusty Springfield)

https://www.imagenetz.de/iiSzH

I'm not sure when or where the photo for the cover art comes from, but my notes say it's probably from 1969.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!

    Your Dusty Springfield On TV and Radio and Alternate series have been truly remarkable. I'm enjoying them immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm psyched you're enjoying this series. I think it's one of the best things I've posted on this blog. It's a crime more of this hasn't been officially released.

      Delete