Saturday, October 19, 2019

Maria McKee - Wayfaring Stranger - Non-Album Tracks (2001-2008)

I've got a lot of live Maria McKee music I want to post, but first I want to complete the posting of studio stray tracks. Here's another, covering 2001 to 2008.

McKee's career was doing well up through her "Life Is Sweet" album in 1996. Then she didn't put out another album until 2003's "High Dive." She barely toured or did anything else musical in that seven year gap, which killed whatever career momentum she had going. Then she got busy again, putting out three studio albums and two live albums from "High Dive" in 2003 to "Late December" in 2007. Since then, she's largely been silent, putting out no new albums at all.

I'm not sure why her career has had these ups and downs. Maybe someone who knows more can explain. But this album collects stray tracks that largely deals with that 2003 to 2007 burst of activity. Eight of the 13 songs were officially released, with one of those being a bonus track and the rest coming from soundtracks or other various artists compilations, or duets on other artists' albums.

Of the unreleased tracks, two come from radio or TV shows, and the sound quality of those are excellent. The last three come from bootlegs of concerts, and the sound quality dips some, but it's still good.

This album is 43 minutes long.

01 Wayfaring Stranger (Maria McKee)
02 Trophy Girl (Maria McKee)
03 Tender Even Then (Kristian Hoffman & Maria McKee)
04 Ma Blonde Est Partie (Maria McKee)
05 Tout Un Beau Soir En Me Promenant (Maria McKee)
06 Life Is Sweet [Acoustic Version] (Maria McKee)
07 Candy's Room (Maria McKee)
08 Turn Away [Acoustic Version] (Maria McKee)
09 Jenny Jenkins (Ryan Hedgecock & Maria McKee)
10 This Road Is Long (Stuart A. Staples & Maria McKee)
11 The Bridge (Maria McKee)
12 New Pony [Acoustic Version] (Maria McKee)
13 Death Is Not the End (Maria McKee)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15848218/MariMcK_2001-2008_WayfarngStrangr_atse.zip.html

The cover art uses a photo from a 2007 concert.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. You can never have too much Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your career description timeline is right on ...and then these 2 events occurred both live shows 2015-05-08 Maria McKee Egyptian Theatre - Hollywood & 2017-01-27 Maria McKee - St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, IR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of the 2015 show. I'll probably post that here eventually.

      Delete
  3. Hi Paul - I love your blog, which I just discovered. I agree with most of your Maria McKee timeline, but it fails to mention her soundtrack work for husband Jim Akin's films (The Shootist 2012 and The Ocean of Helena Lee 2015). Most of the music is instrumental, but a few feature Maria on vocals. I've posted Maria's 2017 Dublin show here at my blog:
    https://dbs-repercussion.blogspot.com/2018/01/maria-mckee-dublin-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've known about your blog for a while, and I've enjoyed it a lot. I like how you post music from more than just the usual famous suspects.

      Re: Maria McKee, I'm aware of her most recent stuff. In fact, I plan on posting another stray tracks album that deals with 2014 to 2018. I also might post her Egytian Theatre show from 2015. That's a good one.

      Delete
    2. By the way, I just added your site to my list of links.

      Delete