Monday, March 25, 2024

World Party - Park West, Chicago, IL, 8-22-2006

For all intents and purposes, the British band World Party was Karl Wallinger. Not only did he write all the band's songs and sing lead on all of them, he often produced the albums and played most of the other instruments on some of them. Sadly, he died earlier this month, on March 11, 2024, at the age of 66, due to a stroke. 

I didn't hear the news at first, but then I noticed a surge in World Party bootlegs at bootleg sharing sites, and I figured it out. A couple of years ago, I had a hard time finding even a single World Party bootleg. But in the wake of his death, a bunch were posted. I wanted to post something new to mark Wallinger's passing, so I looked at all the concerts I hadn't posted yet, and decided this was the best one. It came after most of his albums were released, so it serves as a de facto best of. He was backed by an excellent band, and gave a solid importance. But probably the most important factor of all is sound quality, and this is a fantastic soundboard. If you were to get just one live World Party recording, this would probably be the best one to choose.

Because this is a excellent soundboard boot, I didn't have to do much tinkering at all. But I did boost the volume of the vocals for the banter between songs, and sometimes I boosted the cheering after the songs.

This album is an hour and 28 minutes long.

01 talk (World Party)
02 Put the Message in the Box (World Party)
03 talk (World Party)
04 Is It like Today (World Party)
05 What Does It Mean Now (World Party)
06 talk (World Party)
07 When the Rainbow Comes (World Party)
08 talk (World Party)
09 Best Place I've Ever Been (World Party)
10 I Thought You Were a Spy (World Party)
11 talk (World Party)
12 She's the One (World Party)
13 Love Street (World Party)
14 talk (World Party)
15 Who Are You (World Party)
16 Here Comes the Future (World Party)
17 talk (World Party)
18 Vanity Fair (World Party)
19 Thank You World (World Party)
20 talk (World Party)
21 Sweet Soul Dream (World Party)
22 Is It Too Late (World Party)
23 talk (World Party)
24 Way Down Now (World Party)
25 It Is Time (World Party)
26 talk (World Party)
27 Ship of Fools (World Party)
28 talk (World Party)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16435667/WORLDPRTY2006PrkWstChcgoIL__8-22-2006_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is of Wallinger at the Bonnaroo Festival in Memphis, Tennessee, in June 2006.

12 comments:

  1. Many thanks for sharing this World Party gem. It is very much appreciated. Now if there were only lives performances of when Karl Wallinger was with Mike Scott in The Waterboys. That would simply be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great show! Bonnaroo is actually in Manchester, TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried downloading repeatedly, but McAfee detects a virus each time. Shame, I saw WP when they were (briefly) big in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also get the McAfee warning but i am not impressed. I will do a bit more testing and tell you what i think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this impressive set. Although some people feel Karl Wallinger may have been 'cheated' out of his success by Robbie Williams' cover of 'She's The One' being a chart-topper rather than the World Party original, it is worth pointing out that when Karl took ill his medical bills in America were phenomenal and the royalties from that hit not only paid for his medical attention but kept him going too. The person who suggested the song was Guy Chambers, once of World Party's touring line-up although probably not by the time of this recording,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read up about that song some while making this album. It was a huge help for him financially. But also, he was screwed in various ways. What particularly galls me is that Robbie Williamson frequently introduced the song in concert by saying it was the best song he ever wrote, even though Wallinger was the one who wrote it! What a dick move.

      Delete
  6. I can NEVER get enough World Party. Thanks for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This month another great artist passed away (way too soon): Eric Carmen of the Raspberries.There is relatively little newas about his passing. A "rare" Raspberries / Eric Carmen project here would be highly appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul...beautiful show and so great to hear it. I saw World Party many years ago, when I bounced at the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco. I was aware of World Party, but the show really turned me in a huge fan. I'm sadden that his passing made me go back and listen, which I hadn't done in years. It was nice to hear so many of the great songs Karl wrote. Dig, Pete the Greek

    ReplyDelete
  9. For another World Party Live... check https://voodoowagon.blogspot.com/2024/02/world-party-live-at-wireless-triple-j.html but yes, there's not a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. But I have other, longer World Party live shows to post, if there's interest.

      Delete