Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Fleetwood Mac - BBC Sessions, Volume 8: In Concert, Maine Road Stadium, Manchester, Britain, 8-25-1990

As I write this on November 30, 2022, I'm sad to pass on the news that Christine McVie, longtime singer and songwriter for Fleetwood Mac, died today, of natural causes. She was 79. To celebrate her musical legacy, I wanted to post something featuring her. I've posted seven albums of Fleetwood Mac playing for the BBC, all in the 1960s or early 1970s. It turns out they made one more appearance for the BBC, a concert nearly two decades later in 1990. So here is that concert.

This concert took place during a difficult time for the band. They released the successful album "Tango in the Night" in 1987. But then one of their three key singer-songwriters, Lindsey Buckingham, quit the band before the start of their tour to support the album. He was replaced by two guitarists, Billy Burnette and Rick Vito. Both of the other two key singer-songwriters, Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks stayed on board. This new version of the band released the album "Behind the Mask" in 1990. The lack of Buckingham was noticeable, and sales and reviews were disappointing. This concert was part of the tour to support that album.

If you're not a fan of "Behind the Mask," don't worry. Only three songs from it were played here, and one of those is the very good hit single "Save Me." This a good concert for Christine McVie fans because without Buckingham, naturally more of the songs were sung by either McVie or Nicks, with only a few sung by either of the new guitarists.

The sound quality is excellent, as you'd expect from the BBC. But there were a few problems, most of which I fixed. The main version I used lacked all of the first song and half of the second one, as well as the musical intro to "Little Lies." Luckily, I found a second version of the concert on YouTube. The sound quality was ever so slightly worse, but I used that version to fill in the missing parts. "The Chain" and "Little Lies" have "[Edit]" in their titles, since they were spliced together from two different versions. The main version also ended with a handful of songs from a early 1980s Stevie Nicks solo concert, but were not labelled as such. I deleted those, since they have nothing to do with this concert.

Another problem just comes down to personal preference. There was a drum solo in "World Turning" that went on way too long for my tastes. Since I mainly make these albums for my own enjoyment, I cut that down drastically. I removed over 10 minutes of music, and yet I kept some of the solo, leaving the song 10 minutes long.

This album is an hour and 54 minutes long. Rest in peace, Christine.

01 In the Back of My Mind (Fleetwood Mac)
02 The Chain [Edit] (Fleetwood Mac)
03 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
04 Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
05 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
06 Isn't It Midnight (Fleetwood Mac)
07 Oh Well, Part 1 (Fleetwood Mac)
08 Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac)
09 Stop Messin' Around (Fleetwood Mac)
10 Save Me (Fleetwood Mac)
11 Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac)
12 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
13 I Loved Another Woman (Fleetwood Mac)
14 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
15 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
16 World Turning [Edit] (Fleetwood Mac)
17 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
18 Everywhere (Fleetwood Mac)
19 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
20 Stand on the Rock (Fleetwood Mac)
21 Little Lies [Edit] (Fleetwood Mac)
22 Stand Back (Fleetwood Mac)
23 You Make Loving Fun (Fleetwood Mac)
24 Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)
25 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
26 Tear It Up (Fleetwood Mac)
27 Don't Stop (Fleetwood Mac)

https://www.imagenetz.de/jReuu

I found a bunch of color photos of the band in concert in 1990, but I couldn't find just one that I especially liked. So I used Photoshop to combine two into one. Both are from the same concert in Minnesota, so both have the same general lighting. But one is of Christine McVie, and the other is of Stevie Nicks. I hope they look okay standing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment