Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Bonnie Raitt - I Wish - Non-Album Tracks (2004-2007)

Right now, I'm neck deep in posting BBC sessions albums, but I still have tons of other stuff I want to post, including lots of stray tracks collections. So here's another from Bonnie Raitt.

Being a talented and distinctive singer as well as slide guitarist, Raitt has sung many duets. But, by chance, this album is ALL duets! And some of them are with really big names, like Stevie Wonder, Norah Jones, and the Rolling Stones. Three are with Keb Mo, probably helped by the fact that they went on tour together during this time period.

Often, these sorts of Raitt's duets showed up on other people's albums. But that's only the case with three of the songs here. The other six are all unreleased, and all come from concert bootlegs. Most of them are from soundboard recordings and sound very good.

I think "A Change Is Gonna Come" is a particularly good performance. Raitt and the Neville Brothers took what is normally about a three minute song and stretched it to seven with lots of passionate singing and soloing. Unfortunately, the recording came from an audience bootleg, though a good one. To help with the sound quality, I used the audio editing program X-Minus to boost some of the lead vocals and quiet random shouts and other audience noise. That's why it has "[Edit]" in the title. I think it sounds very good now, other than some audience noise near the start that I couldn't get rid of.

The bonus track actually is not a duet. This medley of "(I'm a) Road Runner" and "Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)" is also from an audience bootleg, but more of a muffled one with sound issues that are beyond my ability to fix. So that's why it's merely a bonus track. 

This album is 43 minutes long, not counting the bonus track.

01 True Love Is Hard to Find (Toots & the Maytals & Bonnie Raitt)
02 No Gettin' Over You (Bonnie Raitt & Keb Mo)
03 I Wish (Stevie Wonder & Bonnie Raitt)
04 I Don't Want Anything to Change (Bonnie Raitt & Norah Jones)
05 Every Morning (Keb Mo & Bonnie Raitt)
06 A Change Is Gonna Come [Edit] (Neville Brothers & Bonnie Raitt)
07 634-5789 (Bonnie Raitt & Keb Mo)
08 Shine a Light (Rolling Stones & Bonnie Raitt)
09 I'm in Love Again - All by Myself (Bonnie Raitt & John Cleary)

[I'm a] Road Runner - Bad Case of Loving You [Doctor, Doctor] (Bonnie Raitt)

https://www.imagenetz.de/axkmY

The cover photo is from a concert in 2006, but I don't know any more than that.

6 comments:

  1. hi, link does not seem to be working

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zippyshare says: File does not exist on this server.
    Paul - but thanks for your work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Link doesnt work ,Paul.....can u re upload ? Thx anyway for the good job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Link fixed. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great one - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete