Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Good News and Bad News

I had something bad happen to me a few days ago. There was an overnight power outtage, and it destroyed my primary hard drive (even though it's an SSD drive that's less than a year old). I had a lot of important files there, and it's been a few months since it was backed up, so I've sent it off to a company that specializes in hard drive recoveries. 

The good news is, the vast majority of my music was on a secondary drive that survived. Still, I'm going to be hobbled for a while. I've decided to get a new computer since I have to start from scratch on a lot of things anyway. It'll be a couple of weeks before the new computer is delivered, and it'll take more time after that for me to get all the programs installed, settings changed, etc... Oh, I also have to figure out how to switch to Windows 10, since I'd been using Windows 7 until now. In the meantime, I'm using a different computer, and I'm limited in what I can do. Luckily, I have some albums ready to be posted, including the cover art. But I may be posting less for a while, and/or posting albums without cover art, until I'm fully recovered from my computer woes.

Oh, one more thing. I tried to get back to SoulseekQT using the same user name as before (albumsthatshouldexist), but I don't seem to sync up with my previous account. So, for the time being, my albums aren't appearing there, and I won't be posting new ones there. Hopefully I'll get that sorted out once I get my computer situation fixed. I plan to keep posting this music through Soulseek, one way or another.

UPDATE: Dammit! I just found out my hard drive is NOT recoverable, according to the top drive recovery experts. Sigh. What a sucky year. It's a good thing most of my music was on my other drive, or this blog probably would be done.

26 comments:

  1. Wishing you all the best in your hard disc and music recovery! Your music site is a pure joy each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I really enjoy your compilations 🎸🎸🎸

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, sorry to hear about the frustrations. A tremendous amount of work obviously goes into this labor of love, and a tremendous amount of joy comes out of it. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication. I love the blog, first class all the way. I love all these great new "albums" that we get to enjoy.

    I'll tell ya what, I have learned - after too many times, and always the hard way - to back my stuff up. Took me years to finally get the message, but now I usually do it once a week. Because it's really not a matter of "if", but "when." A crash awaits every hard drive. You can't stop it.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a random crappy end to an already crappy year. Hope you get everything sorted soon. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year isn't over. There's still time for a Christmas Day mega-earthquake or something like that. ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your efforts and for sharing...greatly appreciated...Happy Holidaze!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sucks, sorry to hear. What kind of drive were you using? I've put a lot on Western Digital Easy Store and am wondering whether to buy another just to backup files.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know off hand since I shipped it off to data recovery experts. But I think it was Western Digital. Less than a year old. Moving forward, I'm going to have a clone back up drive, but also do an automatic back up to the cloud. That way, even if my home burns down, my data will survive.

      Delete
  7. Greetings from Australia where life is back to relative normality
    -shows what happens when politicians and the people follow the advice of experts. Anyway thank you for all your great albums and looking forward to many more despite the setback. Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you have to deal with problems like this. Thanks for all you do for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about the problems...how bloody frustrating!! Thanks for all you have shared & look forward to more in the future. In the meantime have a breather for yourself...it will all come right again...cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear it, hope they manage to repair the drive. In any case, thanks for all the compilations !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh sounds horrible sorry that happened to you. Thanks for all the music here

    ReplyDelete
  12. With program: M3 Data Recovery Standard, you can recover all lost data, even on a corrupt harddrive !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A surge protector would have prevented this. Get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using a surge protector! I guess they don't always stop the damage. :(

      Delete
  14. You do great work. I appreciate the effort, as do many who frequent here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul - this is a long overdue fan letter - 2020 was the worst year ever *except* I discovered your site. Usually I am a bit of a snob when it comes to fan curated mixes etc - but you sir are awesome. We obviously have many of the same tastes - and you've done a stellar job making my life better with some expert collections. I am so sorry to hear of your computer loss - the same thing happened to me this summer and it was awful. I can feel your pain! Maybe I can help though - I did save many of the files I downloaded from you ... no means to I have all of them but if there's any you really need - maybe I can send them to you? Lemme know - I owe you one (many more than one - but you get the idea!

    chrishoustonidea@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the praise. And thanks for the offer to help. But don't worry, I didn't lose anything I posted here. In fact, I didn't lose much in the way of music file at all, just some in my music I want to check out pile. But I can recover most of that, if I can think of what it was. It wasn't a lot, in any case. Mostly, I lost pictures and stuff I wrote. :(

      Delete
  16. Thanks you for all of your hard work on this site. i hope you and your loved ones have a great and healthy Christmas. All the best from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a brilliant site! Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete