Saturday, August 31, 2019

The Duckworth Lewis Method - Gentlemen and Players - Acoustic Versions (2009-2013)

Some weeks ago, I posted an album by the Duckworth Lewis Method, a relatively obscure group that writes and sings songs entirely about the sport of cricket. That was no joke. I posted that because I think they great. I have no interest in cricket whatsoever, but it doesn't matter for me, nor should it for you, because they write excellent songs and perform them well. They're a relatively new band (their two albums (so far) were released in 2009 and 2013), but they're heavily inspired by the music of the 1960s and 1970s.

This album consists of acoustic versions of songs from their two albums, with a couple of non-album cover versions thrown in. So this plays much like an acoustic version of their best songs. If you want one album to be introduced to the band, this is a good way to go, probably more than the other album of their that I posted.

By the way, the link to that one is here:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-duckworth-lewis-method-on-with-show.html

All the songs here are officially unreleased, but the sound quality is consistently very good anyway. About half of the songs were recorded in the studio, sometimes for radio shows. The other half were played live, but from intimate appearances at record stores on or TV.

This and the above link are all I have to post from the Duckworth Lewis Method. However, I'm very impressed with the music of Thomas Walsh (who writes and sings about half of these songs) and his band Pugwash. I hope to post a lot of Pugwash stuff in the future.

01 Flatten the Hay [Acoustic Demo] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
02 Meeting Mr. Miandad [Acoustic Demo] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
03 Norwegian Wood [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
04 Mason on the Boundary [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method with Matt Berry)
05 The Age of Revolution [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
06 What Becomes of the Broken Hearted [Acappella Mix] (Duckworth Lewis Method with Matt Berry)
07 Gentlemen and Players [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
08 Out in the Middle [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
09 Test Match Special [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
10 Boom Boom Afridi [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
11 Third Man [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)
12 It's Just Not Cricket [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method with Henry Blofeld)
13 The Nightwatchman [Acoustic] (Duckworth Lewis Method)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15328237/DuckwrthLwisM_2009-2013_GentlemnPlayrsAcoustic_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I used a band publicity photo. I think it dates from 2009. I took the text of the band's name from some other publicity material.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to this cricket themed band. I'm enjoying listening to their albums on spotify. My knowledge of cricket is limited, mainly from reading all of the excellent old P.G. Wodehouse school stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay! I'm very happy to hear I've turned at least one person on to this weird but really good band. I hope there will be more.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. Love Duckworth Lewis, Pugwash, and the Divine Comedy, which is Neil Hannon's band. All terrific Britpop. If you can find some of the live Pugwash appearances, they're great too--especially when Walsh covers ELO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. In fact, I plan on posting a collection of Pugwash doing nothing but acoustic versions of Jeff Lynne songs.

      Delete