Sunday, June 28, 2020

Larkin Poe - Brooklyn Bowl, Nashville, TN, 6-27-2020

I've posted a lot of Larkin Poe music lately. What's different about this one? First off, it's brand new. It's a concert that literally took place a few hours ago. This is the first time I've posted a concert that happened on the same day, and I'm psyched about that. More importantly, I've posted acoustic music from them recently, but this is a full-band concert. It's the Lovell sisters, Megan and Rebecca, on electric guitars instead of acoustic ones, with a bassist and drummer added. It's also a complete concert, at one hour and 16 minutes.

Is this a home concert? Kind of. Technically it isn't, since it was recorded at the Brooklyn Bowl. That might sound like a grand venue such as the Hollywood Bowl, but it's actually a bowling rink. However, in another way it is, because there was absolutely no audience for this concert. It was professionally recorded and filmed by them to be broadcast over the Internet. It's odd sometimes to have a rocking song come to an end and be greeted by total silence. But on the plus side, one can hear the music even better without the usual hollering and cheering.

Just a week or two prior to this, Larkin Poe released their latest album "Self Made Man." The set list leans heavily on songs from that album. I believe all the songs are originals, except for three blues songs ("Preachin' Blues," "John the Revelator," and "Come On in My Kitchen," plus a snippet of "Blue Sky" by the Allman Brothers Band.

Lately, the coronavirus pandemic has been getting worse in the US (so please keep social distancing!). I wonder if this sort of concert - playing in an venue outside one's home but to all empty seats - will become common in the months to come. Strange times!

01 She's a Self Made Man (Larkin Poe)
02 talk (Larkin Poe)
03 Keep Diggin' (Larkin Poe)
04 Trouble in Mind (Larkin Poe)
05 talk (Larkin Poe)
06 Bleach Blonde Bottle Blues (Larkin Poe)
07 talk (Larkin Poe)
08 Back Down South - Blue Sky (Larkin Poe)
09 talk (Larkin Poe)
10 Preachin' Blues (Larkin Poe)
11 talk (Larkin Poe)
12 Freedom (Larkin Poe)
13 John the Revelator (Larkin Poe)
14 talk (Larkin Poe)
15 Tears of Blue to Gold (Larkin Poe)
16 talk (Larkin Poe)
17 Danger Angel (Larkin Poe)
18 When God Closes a Door (Larkin Poe)
19 talk (Larkin Poe)
20 Ex-Con (Larkin Poe)
21 talk (Larkin Poe)
22 Easy Street (Larkin Poe)
23 talk (Larkin Poe)
24 Blue Ridge Mountains (Larkin Poe)
25 talk (Larkin Poe)
26 Holy Ghost Fire (Larkin Poe)
27 Wanted Woman - AC-DC (Larkin Poe)
28 talk (Larkin Poe)
29 Come On in My Kitchen (Larkin Poe)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15262142/LarkinP_2020d_BrooklynBwlNashvilleTN__6-27-2020_atse.zip.html

The cover art is taken from a photo I found at Larkin Poe's Instagram account, taken in front of the venue.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this show! The Lovell sisters are amazing and play as if the hall is packed. No lack of energy or passion, for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank you again for turning me on to this band. I do prefer them alone instead of the full band treatment though. I was wondering if you would put a "best of" list together of what tracks are your favorites, culled from your posts. Loose criteria would be duo over band performances, originals over covers, fits on a CD. I say loose criteria because sometimes there's a performance that just wows you regardless. I ask you because I'm still exploring them and still looking for a "definitive" goto starting point rather than just listening to each post as a whole which can be overwhelming. You've been listening to them longer and most likely have a mental list of favorites already and we seem to have similar tastes so I trust your judgment. Just a quick list, I've downloaded all the posts so I can assemble it.

    Thanks again as always and don't let the DMCA police get you down. I suppose that's the downside of a high traffic site like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting idea, creating a best of. Maybe I'll do that. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for a two week vacation very soon, so I won't be able to get to it until I get back. But in the meantime, maybe some other people could chime in with which songs they think should fit on a best of.

      Delete
  3. Hello. I hadn't heard of Larkin Poe until you mentioned them recently and then much loved NZ music reviewer/musician reviewed a recent release of theirs Self Made Man via his Radio NZ The Sampler show https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/thesampler/audio/2018754065/the-sampler-the-beths-larkin-poe-khruangbin You should also listen to the Beths album! https://thebethsnz.bandcamp.com/album/jump-rope-gazers-2

    ReplyDelete
  4. NZ music reviewer/musician is Nick Bollinger

    ReplyDelete