Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Melissa Etheridge - Home Concert Covers, Volume 2, Los Angeles, CA, 4-15-2020 to 4-22-2020

I've got a bunch of Melissa Etheridge 2020 home concerts to post, so here we go with another one. Let's review what I did with the last album I posted. Etheridge has played over 50 home concerts since the coronavirus pandemic began, lasting roughly half an hour to an hour each. I've selected just the cover versions she's done, and the related talking before each song.

However, she can be very verbose with her comments. So I've made two versions of this album: one includes the comments and the songs (which is exactly an hour long), and the other is just the songs (which is 44 minutes long).

In terms of musical content, Etheridge is well known for for her rough, expressive voice. But in making this series, I was impressed at her talent with musical instruments as well. For some of the songs, she does looping, creating drum beats in real time, then singing and playing more instruments on top of loops of that rhythm. I've cut out the minute or two it takes her to create the loops. I'm especially impressed at her lead guitar playing. She's like a literal one-person band.

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 Born under a Bad Sign - Albert King / Cream
02 I Forgot to Be Your Lover - William Bell
03 Maggie May - Rod Stewart
04 Teach Your Children - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
05 I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton / Whitney Houston
06 Come in from the Rain - Melissa Manchester
07 Fix You - Coldplay
08 I’ve Got Dreams to Remember - Otis Redding
09 Kiss - Prince
10 Respect Yourself - Staple Singers

Here's the usual song list for the version with the talking:

01 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
02 Born under a Bad Sign (Melissa Etheridge)
03 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
04 I Forgot to Be Your Lover (Melissa Etheridge)
05 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
06 Maggie May (Melissa Etheridge)
07 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
08 Teach Your Children (Melissa Etheridge with Bailey Etheridge)
09 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
10 I Will Always Love You (Melissa Etheridge)
11 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
12 Come in from the Rain (Melissa Etheridge)
13 Fix You (Melissa Etheridge & Bailey Etheridge)
14 Intro to I've Got Dreams to Remember (Melissa Etheridge)
15 I’ve Got Dreams to Remember (Melissa Etheridge)
16 Kiss (Melissa Etheridge)
17 Respect Yourself (Melissa Etheridge)

Here's the music-only song list:

01 Born under a Bad Sign (Melissa Etheridge)
02 I Forgot to Be Your Lover (Melissa Etheridge)
03 Maggie May (Melissa Etheridge)
04 Teach Your Children (Melissa Etheridge with Bailey Etheridge)
05 I Will Always Love You (Melissa Etheridge)
06 Come in from the Rain (Melissa Etheridge)
07 Fix You (Melissa Etheridge & Bailey Etheridge)
08 I’ve Got Dreams to Remember (Melissa Etheridge)
09 Kiss (Melissa Etheridge)
10 Respect Yourself (Melissa Etheridge)

Music plus talking:

https://www.upload.ee/files/15289355/MelissaE_2020b_HomeConcrtCovrsVolume2LsAngelesCA__4-15-2020_to_4-22-2020_atse.zip.html

Music only:

https://www.upload.ee/files/15289335/MelissaE_2020b_HomeConcrtCovrsVolume2LsAngelesCA__4-15-2020_4-22-2020_Music_Only.zip.html

For two of the songs, Melissa was joined by her daughter Bailey, who helped with vocals. I have several of these albums to post. So for this one, I thought it would be more interesting to include a screenshot from the concert of Melissa and Bailey, instead of just Melissa alone. So that's what I did. The picture quality isn't great, but c'est la vie.

8 comments:

  1. Amazing how busy she keeps herself with these concerts, especially considering she's all the while mourning her son who died a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, as soon as she got the news about that, she stopped. There haven't been any since, which is a bummer, but very understandable. I hope she starts up again. She had some more special theme days planned that sounded like fun.

      Delete
  2. The first file (plus talking) doesn't exist on Zippyshare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you re-up please? Really enjoy her cover versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And apologises for missing it first time around. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul -- Unfortunately ZippyShare says "File has expired and does not exist anymore on this server". Wikipedia reports that the site blocks users in UK, Germany and Spain (since 2019 onwards), so I used Tor to spoof another country.

    Would be so grateful if you could re-up, please. Thank you upfront!

    ReplyDelete