Sunday, June 21, 2020

Joe Walsh - Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, CA, 11-26-1975

I find it very odd that in Joe Walsh's long solo career, he's only released one live album, "You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind," released in 1976. And that was an unusually short one as live albums go, at only 34 minutes. So I set about to find a good bootleg concert from the 1970s, before he joined the Eagles in 1976.

It turns out I could only find one concert that has truly excellent sound quality. Unfortunately, it turned out to be exactly the same concert that was the source of his lone live album. It was an hour-long appearance on the "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" TV show. But I'm posting it here because I found some additional songs from that show that almost doubles the length and, in my opinion, makes it into a proper live album.

Specifically, the songs "Welcome to the Club, "Get Back," and "Gimme Some Lovin'" were added. The last two are covers of the famous hits by the Beatles and the Spencer Davis Group respectively. It's disappointing those two weren't included on the official album, since he never recorded them for any studio albums either.

I should also point out that Walsh had a number of prominent musicians helping out for this concert. Don Felder, who had recently joined the Eagle, was part of his band for the entire show. Two more Eagles, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, joined on vocals for the song "Help Me through the Night." Plus, Frey returned for the final song. Also, Jay Ferguson, formerly of the band Spirit, played piano for the show. (A couple of years later, he would have a big solo hit with "Thunder Island.") Dave Mason, formerly of Traffic, played organ.

For this recording, I relied entirely on a bootleg recording, and ignored the official version entirely. That way, the sound was consistent all the way through. But there was one big problem with the bootleg I used. Since it was recorded from the TV show, pretty much all the talking between songs was edited out, and many times even the audience applause after the songs were cut short by announcers talking or commercial breaks. But there was enough applause remaining that I was able to patch in some clapping from the ends of other songs so that all the songs have an appropriate audience response.

Another issue is song order. The order here is based on the bootleg, but it's totally different from the order on the official album. I'm pretty sure this is right and the official album is wrong.

01 Time Out (Joe Walsh)
02 Meadows (Joe Walsh)
03 Walk Away (Joe Walsh)
04 Mother Says (Joe Walsh)
05 Welcome to the Club (Joe Walsh)
06 Help Me through the Night (Joe Walsh & the Eagles)
07 Turn to Stone (Joe Walsh)
08 Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)
09 talk (Joe Walsh)
10 Get Back (Joe Walsh)
11 Gimme Some Lovin' (Joe Walsh)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15260434/JoeWal_1975_DnKirshnrsRockConcrtCivcAuditoriumSntaMonicaCA__11-26-1975_atse.zip.html

I couldn't find a cover art worthy photo from the exact concert in question. The one I used comes from a concert earlier in the same year held in the Netherlands.

15 comments:

  1. Thank You Paul. You did it!! Nicely pieced together. Joe Walsh is much underrated. There are a few good boot's of his around why he's never released a live acoustic album I'll never know? ;0)
    A deep dive into his catalogue would be rewarding. Live and studio.
    Although maybe give Duckman a miss!!
    Ps. My music player mixed up your Neil Young Homegrown comp with the archive release, adding to the playlist The Old Homestead, Deep Forbidden Lake and Winter long. Dare I say I thought it worked better than the official release (!!??) Me and my Amigo tried to unravel the timeline, he said..
    OK.... so i’ve been in the (Archives) and everything is in order of recording.......winterlong was rcorded at beginning of the on the beach sessions at the end of 73. First recording for homegrown was love is a rose closely followed by ........drum roll.......through my sails.....not recorded during zuma sessions! That should definitely be on there... think it would fit.
    Yes indeed! All these years and no one seemed to know.
    ..
    I wondered if the 1974 CSNY live album tracks fitted (yes timeline wise but the band and live feel don't). But removing CSN and just listening to Neil Young gives us another official Live Neil Young album, from 74' which other than the Bottom line gig and one unrecorded zepplinesk gig would be all to go on. If any Led Zeppelin fans know of a source for this, I'd be very happy to hear it,!

    Misc shows & special appearances
    1974-09-14, Quaglino's, London, England
    Neil Young & Stephen Stills with Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Tim Drummond & Graham Nash

    (incomplete set list)
    Vampire Blues / On The Beach

    Im looking forward to your digging into the 80's Neil Young Catalogue. I had a go at'Horse Landing On Water', trying to find Crazy Horse versions of Landing On Water... with a bit more digging around it would work. Six songs available. But I could only find a YouTube version of ,,l Got A Problem, quality isn't great.

    So what I'm saying is I really appreciate your work :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for all that. Re: Joe Walsh, I'm not a big enough fan to do a deep dive of all his rare stuff.

      Re: Neil, he certainly was on fire with songwriting in 1974! That London show sounds really fascinating. I've never heard about it.

      And thanks for reminding me about Neil in 1980s. I'll have to get back to posting more of that.

      Delete
    2. More Neil, Yes please!! Cant get enough personally!! I'm looking forward to the 8O's comps. Very intrigued as to what you come up with.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Love this era of Joe Walsh. As a kid, Rocky Mountain Way is one of the songs that caused me to switch from AM to FM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I wish there was more from this era with really great sound quality.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, for adding what should been on the cd release of "You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks so much for compiling this! Really great show! I listened to the whole thing a while ago on a really crappy Youtube post, and wished there was a quality version! And here it is! Made my day! Signed, 'Happy Old Guy in NJ'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on Joe's lone live album. Many thanks for assembling and editing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! How do I download this? The link is a bit confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Copy the link and paste it into a new browser window in your browser. If you're getting ads and such, try right clicking on the link. I hear that helps get past the junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh I tried everything and still stuck... I just need to know what to click and where its to click, still having zero luck.

      Delete
    2. Plz Ignore that last reply, I finally figured it out! My apologies for the hassle, and thank you for uploading this! Goes really well with the video of this performance.

      Delete
    3. Glad you figured it out. If you have any tips for others with Zippyshare issues, please let us know.

      Delete