Monday, June 8, 2020

Manfred Mann - Mann Made (1965)

I'm continuing to post Manfred Mann's 1960's output in hopes people will take this band more seriously. Virtually everything I'm planning on posting are stray tracks compilations I've made. But there are two early Manfred Mann albums that need no changing: "The Five Faces of Manfred Mann," and this one. So I'm posting this just as it is.

This album was only released in Britain. The US releases were generally even more messed up than the British ones, so I'm sticking with the British. It's notable that Manfred Mann are largely remembered as a singles band, but there are no hit singles on this. In the 1960s, Britain was still recovering from World War II, and people typically didn't have much spending money. It was considered a rip-off to make someone buy a single and then buy the same song when an album came out later. (Of course that changed before too long!)

With this album, the band is still very much in rhythm and blues mode, with some jazzy instrumental added in. I really don't think they deserve their reputation as a poppy singles band.

This album is 40 minutes long.

01 Since I Don't Have You (Manfred Mann)
02 You're for Me (Manfred Mann)
03 Look Away (Manfred Mann)
04 The Abominable Showmann [Instrumental] (Manfred Mann)
05 Watch Your Step (Manfred Mann)
06 Call It Stormy Monday (Manfred Mann)
07 I Really Do Believe (Manfred Mann)
08 Hi Lili, Hi Lo (Manfred Mann)
09 The Way You Do the Things You Do (Manfred Mann)
10 Bare Hugg [Instrumental] (Manfred Mann)
11 You Don't Know Me (Manfred Mann)
12 L. S. D. (Manfred Mann)
13 I'll Make It up to You (Manfred Mann)

https://www.imagenetz.de/bNafg

The cover art is just the same as the original cover. I enlarged it a bit because there was some damage around the edges for the photograph I used, which was the best one I could find.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't need really this post to take the Manfreds "more seriously". I think they were un important group of the sixties at the level of The Moody Blues (R&B period), The Alan Price Set or The Nashville Teens.
    The problem with the official releases is than the "amateurs" have yet, normally, those records.
    Which is not the case for the rarities you use to publish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that you take this group seriously, but a lot of other people don't. So my comments were aimed at them.

      Delete
  2. I was a teen in London in the 60s; Manfred Mann, The Small Faces, and The Who were the Mod bands we listened to and were influenced by the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you. I'm glad to hear Manfred Mann was considered an influence back then.

      Delete
    2. "I was a teen in London in the 60s" Me Too.
      Manfred Mann, The Small Faces, and The Who were the Mod bands we listened to. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Plus a bit of Spencer Davis Group, Amen Corner, and Peter Green.
      And I still listen to them half a century later. As Paul Jones would to say "Wonderful Stuff"
      🎵 Thank you for the Music,

      Delete