Thursday, June 25, 2020

Pete Townshend - Life to Life - Non-Album Tracks (1985-1989)

Oops! I was convinced that I'd posted this album months ago. It's a stray tracks album, and I went on to post the rest of the albums in that series. Somehow, it came to my attention that I'd missed this one, so here we go. If you suspect I've missed other albums that are in a series, please let me know.

In the 1980s, Pete Townshend had a fairly active solo career. In 1985, he released the album "White City," which I think is one of his best. This starts with a couple of bonus tracks from that album, and continues to a B-side from his next album in 1989. In between are mostly demos and live tracks. I believe five songs are not written by him: "Save It for Later," "Night Train," "Cool Jerk," "That's Alright, Mama," and "I Put a Spell on You."

"Dig" was a minor hit from Townshend's 1989 album "The Iron Man." But that version was played by the Who, and the lead vocals were sung by Who singer Roger Daltrey. This is a rare B-side version actually sung by Townshend.

In terms of sound quality, everything here is fine. Only two songs are officially unreleased, and both of those sound as good as any official live album.

01 Save It for Later (Pete Townshend)
02 Night School (Pete Townshend)
03 Lonely Words (Pete Townshend)
04 That's All Right, Mama (Pete Townshend)
05 Life to Life (Pete Townshend)
06 Night Train (Pete Townshend)
07 I Put a Spell on You (Pete Townshend)
08 Cool Jerk [Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
09 Real World [Can You Really Dance] (Pete Townshend)
10 How Did You Love Me Then [Version 1] (Pete Townshend)
11 Penny Drop (Pete Townshend)
12 Dig [Pete Vocal Version] (Pete Townshend)

https://www.imagenetz.de/his2b

The cover art photo is from a mid-1980s publicity photo.

4 comments:

  1. "Save It For Later" is a 1982 single by The (English) Beat, from their Special Beat Service album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figure most people would recognize it.

      Delete