Thursday, June 4, 2020

Manfred Mann - Come Tomorrow - Non-Album Tracks (1964-1965)

Here's the next in my series of stray tracks albums for Manfred Mann. For this album, the band is still very much in their rhythm and blues phase. So if you like the 1960s British take on that kind of music, this is for you. I'll say again that Manfred Mann are a strangely underrated band.

As I mentioned before, I think they're underrated because they got the reputation of a poppy singles band. But for this bunch of songs, even though there are several A-sides included, it doesn't really have poppy hits. The closest are "Come Tomorrow," which was a top five hit in Britain, and "Oh No, Not My Baby," which made the top ten there despite first appearing as a B-side. The rest is much more in a rhythm and blues vein, as mention above. I especially find their cover of "Groovin'" interesting, considering that Led Zeppelin later did a version of the same song in their Led Zeppelin style (except they called it "We're Gonna Groove").

All the songs here have been officially released, so there are no sound quality issues. A couple come from BBC performances. The album is 39 minutes long, which was typical for albums of that era.

01 Groovin' [We're Gonna Groove] (Manfred Mann)
02 Can't Believe It (Manfred Mann)
03 Did You Have to Do That (Manfred Mann)
04 I Need You (Manfred Mann)
05 Come Tomorrow (Manfred Mann)
06 What Did I Do Wrong (Manfred Mann)
07 She Needs Company (Manfred Mann)
08 Oh No, Not My Baby (Manfred Mann)
09 She (Manfred Mann)
10 That's the Way I Feel [Edit] (Manfred Mann)
11 Dashing Away with the Smoothing Iron (Manfred Mann)
12 I Can't Believe What You Say (Manfred Mann)
13 It's Getting Late (Manfred Mann)
14 Poison Ivy (Manfred Mann)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15264043/ManfredM_1964-1965_CmeTomorrow_atse.zip.html

For the cover art, I found a photo of the "Come Tomorrow" single. I made a few changes, especially enlarging the text as the top to cover some boring blank areas. I removed the name of the B-side song. I also put the record company logo in the bottom corner.

2 comments:

  1. The period I prefer of this group. Never liked The Manfreds when they left rhythm and blues.

    ReplyDelete