Sunday, June 7, 2020

Norah Jones - Hands on the Wheel - Non-Album Tracks (2007-2008)

A couple of days ago, I started posting a complete overhaul of all the Norah Jones stray tracks albums I've posted so far. This is due to a Jones super fan named Jorge, who alerted me to dozens of her songs that I'd previously missed. I've found so many new songs that I've had to create a couple of new albums to squeeze between existing albums in order to keep things organized chronologically.

This is the second such new album. Four of the eleven songs were moved from the previous album in the stray tracks series. But the other seven are ones that I've never posted before.

In terms of content, seven songs are ones that she only played in concert and never put on album.  Three of those come from concert DVDs and thus have excellent sound. The other four live ones come from concert bootlegs, but generally sound pretty good as well.

Finally, there are four more songs from "El Madmo," an album by a side project band also called "El Madmo." They've been called an "alt rock" or "indie rock" band. I don't know if that's exactly accurate, but those songs are more rocking than Jones's usual fare, in a fun and goofy way. Some of her other side projects have persisted, but so far this is the only El Madmo album. I generally picked the songs where Jones dominated the lead vocals, since some of the other songs are sung by the other band members.

This album is 43 minutes long.

01 Hands on the Wheel (Norah Jones with M. Ward)
02 Ocean of Noise (Norah Jones)
03 My First Lover (Norah Jones with M. Ward)
04 I'm Gonna Get You Yet (Norah Jones)
05 Scary Lady (El Madmo featuring Norah Jones)
06 The Best Part (El Madmo featuring Norah Jones)
07 I Like It Low (El Madmo featuring Norah Jones)
08 Blame It On My Youth (Norah Jones)
09 When God Made Me (Norah Jones with Neil Young)
10 Fantasy Guy (El Madmo featuring Norah Jones)
11 Yesterdays (Norah Jones)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15848895/NorahJ_2007-2008_HndsontheWheel_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from a Norah Jones appearance at an awards show.

3 comments:

  1. It would take too long for me to look through your Norah posts, but since you mentioned some songs that are more rocking than her standard fare, you reminded me of a collaboration she did with Peeping Tom called, "Sucker." You ever hear that song? It's fun to hear Norah rhyme "sucker" with "fucker." I met her before her first album came out, in a small club outside Philadelphia. What a sweetheart and what a talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm aware of that song, and thanks for asking. That's in a small group of songs I didn't include, even though they sound good. Not including it had nothing to do with the MF lyric. I just felt it wasn't really a Norah Jones song. She doesn't sing on the verses and is one of multiple voices on the chorus, so it doesn't have her distinctive sound.

      Delete