Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Norah Jones - Let It Ride - Non-Album Tracks (2012-2013)

Over the past few days, I've updated virtually every Norah Jones album that I've posted at this blog so far. (The only exceptions are the one called "Day Is Done" and the Tanglewood Jazz Festival with Marian McPartland.) The reason for all the changes is that I was contacted by a Norah Jones super fan named Jorge who shared dozens and dozens of her songs that I'd somehow overlooked. I didn't include all the songs, mostly due to sound quality issues for some of the live ones, but I included enough for me to have to create two new albums in order to keep everything in rough chronological order.

If you're a fan of these albums, I highly, highly recommend you redownload them all! Seriously. There are newly discovered songs all over the place, others with improved sound, still others that were misplaced moved to the years they were done, improved mp3 tag information, and more. My musical friend MZ even worked on improving the sound of some of the iffy cases, including all of the bonus tracks.

I'm sorry that I keep having to change these Norah Jones albums. It frustrates me to no end, believe me. The thing is, she's done so many side projects, collaborations, and the like, and played all kinds of songs in concert that aren't on her albums, yet as far as I can tell, nobody has systematically collected them and made them available anywhere. So I had to grope around in the dark. But now that I've had the help of Jorge, I'm very confident I've found 99 plus percent of everything available out there, so I'm confident I won't have to make major changes again. That's why this is the ideal time for you to get these updated versions of her albums.

Anyway, let me address the music specifically on this album. It's very much like the other stray tracks albums I've been posting. It has a couple of songs from one of her side projects, in this case the Little Willies. It also has one song from an album she did with Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day. They did an entire album of Everly Brothers covers. But all the songs but one mainly featured Armstrong on lead vocals, so I've only included the one with Jones singing the main lead. This album also has other collaborations, including a duet with her favorite duet partner, Willie Nelson.

By chance, all the songs here are officially released, although some of them are very obscure. So sound quality isn't a problem, except for the bonus track, a cover of the Rolling Stones classic "Beast of Burden." That one is from a bootleg, and the sound quality just doesn't match the standards of the rest.

One final note. Three of the songs ("Killing Time," "It Came upon a Midnight Clear," and "Always Judging") are from the previous album in this stray tracks album series, and had to be moved here due to space issues with that previous album. There was a lot of moving around from album to album like that, which is all the more reason for you to redownload all the previous albums. But hopefully everything will be clear and simple with her albums moving forward chronologically from here. Knock on wood!

This album is 41 minutes long.

01 Lovesick Blues (Little Willies featuring Norah Jones)
02 Remember Me (Little Willies featuring Norah Jones)
03 Killing Time (Norah Jones)
04 It Came upon a Midnight Clear (Norah Jones)
05 Always Judging (Norah Jones)
06 Dealbreaker (White on Rice featuring Norah Jones)
07 Lullaby + Exile (M. Ward & Norah Jones)
08 [Talk to Me Of] Mendocino (Norah Jones)
09 I'm Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail (Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones)
10 Funny How Time Slips Away (Willie Nelson & Norah Jones)
11 Let It Ride (Robert Glasper & Norah Jones)

Beast of Burden (Norah Jones & Hayes Carll)

https://www.imagenetz.de/cbu2C

The cover art photo is of Norah Jones in concert in 2012.

1 comment: