Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Norah Jones - As Fast as My Feet Can Carry Me - Non-Album Tracks (2013-2014)

I noted in my last post that Larkin Poe has a new album out, and you should definitely check it out. For this post, I'm noting that Norah Jones has a new album out, as of last week, and you should definitely check it out as well. I only just got it, but so far, I'm impressed. I've knocked Norah Jones's songwriting in previous posts as being good, but fairly generic. It's unusual for a songwriter to noticeably improve after about 20 years making records, but I honestly think she's been getting better lately. It helps that many of the songs on the new album "Pick Me Up Off the Floor" have a more lively pace, making her album less like forgettable background music.

Anyway, in celebration of her new album, I'm posting this, her latest in a long series of stray tracks albums. In the last couple of weeks, I overhauled all of her stray tracks albums I'd posted here previously, adding and moving songs, and even creating a couple of new albums to make room for the new stuff. I'll repeat that if you're a fan of her music, you should redownload all of those, if you haven't done so already.

Thanks to the input of a very organized Norah Jones fan, I believe I now have virtually all of her "stray" songs. So I can post more of her stray track albums without having to fear that I'll need to make more changes. Thus, I'm able to continue onward chronologically.

All but one of the songs here have been officially released. That one song is a cover of "Ghost Town," a hit by the Specials. The sound on that one is a bit rougher than the rest, but still very acceptable. The rest of the songs come from the usual sources, such as guest appearances on other people's albums, soundtracks, tribute albums, and so on. Three of the songs with an Indian flavor are due to her singing on her sister Anoushka Shankar's album. (Their father was the famous sitar player Ravi Shankar.) Only one of the songs this time is from one of her side project bands. In this case, it's "Don't Know What It Means" by Puss N Boots.

The two bonus songs are nice, but the sound quality isn't quite good enough for them to be included on the album proper. Both are Tom Petty covers from a tribute concert to him.

This album is 40 minutes long.

01 The Sun Won't Set (Anoushka Shankar with Norah Jones)
02 Take the Money and Run (Norah Jones with the Wild Rovers)
03 Traces of You (Anoushka Shankar with Norah Jones)
04 Over the Hill (Norah Jones with Lily Tanken)
05 As Fast as My Feet Can Carry Me (Emmylou Harris & Norah Jones)
06 Ghost Town (Reigning Monarchs with Norah Jones & Jedediah Parish)
07 Walkin' (Willie Nelson & Norah Jones)
08 Unsaid (Anoushka Shankar with Norah Jones)
09 It Was the Last Thing on Your Mind (Norah Jones)
10 Don't Know What It Means (Puss N Boots featuring Norah Jones)
11 Just Noise (Norah Jones)
12 If You Want the Rainbow [You Must Have the Rain] (Norah Jones)

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (Jakob Dylan & Norah Jones)
This Old Town (Norah Jones)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15603496/NorahJ_2013-2014_AsFstasMyFeetCnCarryMe_atse.zip.html

The cover art is a photo from the "George Fest" concert in 2014, a tribute to George Harrison.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know you liked her new album.I think she's matured as an artist.

    ReplyDelete