Sunday, May 27, 2018

Various Artists - Nuggets 3: The Netherlands (1965-1972)

Here's something a little bit different, my first attempt at a various artists compilation.

In 1995, Rhino Records released a great box set called "Nuggets" that covered the American garage rock and psychedelic gems from the mid- to late 1960s. Then in 2001, they came out with another "Nuggets" box set that did the same thing, except for Britain and the rest of the world.

When I listened to those box sets, I liked pretty much every song. But I got to wondering what good songs they might have missed. So I kept an eye out for other "nuggets" and began adding them to my versions of the box sets whenever I found any songs that were worthy. Over time, I came up with so many songs that I decided to divide them up into more manageable portions. One way I did that was geographically. I called the first box set "Nuggets 1" and the British songs on the second one "Nuggets 2." Then I've gone on to make a bunch more.

Here's the first of those, "Nuggets 3," which focuses just on music from the Netherlands. I stretched the time period some too, going from 1965 all the way to 1972, because I kept finding worthy songs that seemed to fit the "nuggets" mode into the early 1970s. To be honest, I kind of lose track of Dutch music after that. I suspect that a lot of the music switched into the Dutch language, which makes it much less accessible to the likes of me.

The Netherlands has so many quality songs of this genre that I split this into two long albums. So note there are two zip files to download. Seven of the songs on the first album are duplicates of the second "Nuggets" box set. There are no duplicates on the second album, because it covers a later time period.

The first album is 44 minutes long. The second one is 54 minutes long.

FIRST ALBUM (1965-1968):

01 For Another Man (Motions)
02 Wasted Words (Motions)
03 Cry in the Night (Q65)
04 Daddy Buy Me a Girl (Golden Earring)
05 Don't You Remember (Sound Magics)
06 Down and Out (4 PK)
07 Everything [That's Mine] (Motions)
08 Kicks and Chicks (Zipps)
09 Russian Spy and I (Hunters)
10 The Life I Live (Q65)
11 Touch (Outsiders)
12 Your Body Not Your Soul (Cuby & the Blizzards)
13 Tomorrow Is Another Day (Buffoons)
14 Blue Revelations (Dukes)
15 Send Me a Postcard (Shocking Blue)
16 Seven Horses in the Sky (Pebbles)
17 Tame Me, Tiger (Bonnie St. Claire)

https://www.imagenetz.de/ggbrc

SECOND ALBUM (1969-1972):

01 Hot Sand (Shocking Blue)
02 I Surrender (Bonnie St. Claire)
03 Little Green Bag (George Baker Selection)
04 Long and Lonesome Road (Shocking Blue)
05 Ma Belle Amie (Tee Set)
06 Mighty Joe (Shocking Blue)
07 Spooky's Day Off (Swinging Soul Machine)
08 Venus (Shocking Blue)
09 Back Home (Golden Earring)
10 Never Marry a Railroad Man (Shocking Blue)
11 Ruby Is the One (Earth & Fire)
12 Hocus Pocus (Focus)
13 Just Fancy (BZN)
14 Serenade (Shocking Blue)
15 It's Gonna Be Alright (Smyle)
16 Memories (Earth & Fire)
17 Sylvia (Focus)

https://www.imagenetz.de/cJF7i

By the way, if anyone knows of any top notch songs from the Netherlands in this time period that I'm missing, please let me know. Perhaps I'll like the songs enough to include them in a future edition.

9 comments:

  1. A friend posted this on Facebook today and I thought of your request for other Dutch bands. Sounds good to me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZjoYlfzOGs&feature=share

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, there are lots of other Dutch nuggets. Here are some suggestions from the 60s: Group 1850 - Mother No-head, The Golden Earrings - Please Go, The Shoes - Osaka, Les Baroques - Such a cad, Zen - Hair, Ro-d-ys - Just Fancy, Brainbox - Down man, Q 65 - You're the victor, The Outsiders Lying all the time, The Bintangs - Travelling in the USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for that feedback. I'll check those out.

      Delete
  3. Just for the record: Wallace Collection wasn't Dutch but Belgian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection!
    Where can I found vol. 1 & 2, please?
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't posted them yet, because they're huge, hundreds of songs. One is for the US and the other is for Britain. I could work on posting them, if there's enough interest.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the answer.
    I confirm. Wallace Collection were belgians and are inclosed in Nuggets 7.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point also. I'll remove that song from this collection (and keep it on Nuggets 7).

      Delete
  6. Also Pebbles wasn't Dutch but Belgian.

    ReplyDelete