Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Jam - News of the World - Non-Album Tracks (1977-1979)

I find it inexplicable how little the Jam is known and appreciated in the U.S. (where I live). In just six years, they had 18 top 40 singles in Britain (including four number ones), and would have had more except their record company only issued 18 singles. Yet not one of their songs ever made the top 100 in the US.

The Jam are great, just like Paul Weller, the band's main singer and songwriter. Not only did they put out a bunch of classic albums, but pretty much all their stray tracks were at the same high level, including many of those top 40 hits. They have so much non-album material that I was able to make three albums of that stuff. And that doesn't include demos and live performances, which will be deal with separately.

"So Sad about Us" and "My Girl" are cover versions.

Here's the first one. It covers 1977 to 1979, and makes up a nice 43 minute album, which was the exact sort of length as their albums at the time.

UPDATE: On October 29, 2022, I updated the mp3 download file with one song I'd missed, a cover of the Temptations classic "My Girl." It's officially unreleased, but the sound quality is still pretty good.

 01 All Around the World (Jam)
02 Carnaby Street (Jam)
03 My Girl (Jam)
04 News of the World (Jam)
05 Aunties and Uncles [Impulsive Youths] (Jam)
06 Innocent Man (Jam)
07 So Sad about Us (Jam)
08 The Night (Jam)
09 Strange Town (Jam)
10 The Butterfly Collector (Jam)
11 When You're Young (Jam)
12 See-Saw (Jam)
13 Best of Both Worlds (Jam)
14 Simon (Jam)
15 Smithers-Jones [Single Version] (Jam)

https://www.imagenetz.de/dzXJP

The album cover is the cover of the "All Around the World" single, only with the text changed.

4 comments:

  1. The Jam ruled my life back then. I'm from Detroit. No one knew who they were. I was a lone mod lol. Still love them. Thanks for these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The file is gone now. A re-up would be appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "See Saw" isn't a cover version, it's a Weller original.

    ReplyDelete