Monday, May 21, 2018

Pete Townshend - Day of Silence - Non-Album Tracks (1970-1973)

I recently posted the first of a series of alternate albums converting Pete Townshend's many scattered demo recordings into coherent albums group by when they recorded. This is the second such album.

The early 1970s was a very productive time for Townshend, especially due to his "Who's Next" / "Lifehouse" and "Quadrophenia" projects. I don't want to overlap with any of that, so these are other songs he also did at the time.

You may notice that some of these have appeared as bonus tracks to his 1972 solo album "Who Came First." He put so many bonus tracks on that that it pretty much doubled the length of that album. But that material was from some very different sources, including songs from 1976. I think I have a better way of organizing his material. Everything here is from 1970 to 1973. About half of the songs here come from other sources, including some songs that remain unreleased.

I've added one bonus track. In 2018, a deluxe edition of "Who's Came First" was released with even more bonus tracks. One of these is a solo acoustic version of "Let's See Action." I don't want to include that as part of this album because it's related to his "Lifehouse" project. However, the track got cut off right in this middle of the bridge to the song, apparently because he forgot the words and gave up. I couldn't finish off the bridge, but I did some editing to have the song repeat the chorus before fading out, so at least it sounds like it gets a proper ending.

UPDATE: On November 23, 2023, I updated the mp3 download file. I removed the song "I Always Say," because it chronologically fits on Townshend's "Rael" album instead. (I found out it was recorded in 1968.) I also added the song "Finally Over." This song finally was released as part of the super deluxe edition of the Who's "Who's Next" album.

01 Day of Silence (Pete Townshend)
02 There’s a Fortune in Those Hills (Pete Townshend)
03 Pile Driver [Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
04 The Love Man (Pete Townshend)
05 Guitar Piece [Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
06 Finally Over (Pete Townshend)
07 Mary Jane (Pete Townshend)
08 Classified (Pete Townshend)
09 Wizardry [Electronic Wizardry] [Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
10 Can't You See I'm Easy (Pete Townshend)
11 Women's Liberation [Riot in a Female Jail] (Pete Townshend)
12 Begin the Beguine (Pete Townshend)

Let's See Action [Nothing Is Everything] [Incomplete Acoustic Demo] (Pete Townshend)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15987150/PeteT_1970-1972_DayofSilnce_atse.zip.html

The cover uses a photo of Townshend from 1972.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, THANK YOU for ALL your hard work in compiling so many wonderful collections of rare, otherwise unavailable music. You've provided me with many hours of very interesting and exciting listening.

    There is a problem with this post, however. The provided link is not for the "Day Of Silence" collection. Instead it take you to "Who Demos Vol 4: Tommy."

    Any chance you could update this link? Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just fixed the link. Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for sharing your feelings on my blog.

      Delete