Monday, May 7, 2018

The Rolling Stones - Little Red Rooster - Non-Album Tracks (1964)

This is the last of the three 1964 Rolling Stones albums I've made in order to gather up all their stray tracks from that year. "Not Fade Away" covered the early part of the year, and "12 X 5" was largely determined what was on that US album. This covers the later part of the year.

Normally, I don't include a song if it's on another album, but I made an exception here for "Heart of Stone." It's done in a very different manner than the version that would appear on "Out of Our Heads" a year later.

Six out of these 11 songs are still unreleased. One of these, "Hear It," is an instrumental that ends the album. On the version I used, the song came to an abrupt, unnatural end. I'm pretty sure the band assumed the song would have faded out by that point. So I faded it out myself.

This ends my collection of the 1964 stray tracks from the Stones. But note that I didn't quite include all of the songs the band did that year. My goal is to include all the songs I like, not all the songs, period. There's not much difference between the two things in this case, but in the 1980s and beyond there will be a big difference, since the band hit quite a few rough patches, IMHO.

I don't recall exactly, but I think there are about three or four songs from 1964 that I found by them and didn't use. One example is the song "I Know." It was written and recorded by the band, but the main singer is their manager Andrew Oldham (apparently - it certainly isn't Mick Jagger or Keith Richards), so it doesn't really sound like a Stones song. Besides, it's just not much of a song, period. Another song I didn't include was "Each and Everyday of the Year," which was recorded in 1964 and released on the rarities album "Metamorphosis" in 1975, but I don't think it's much of a song. There's also a bland instrumental I left out, "And Mr. Spector and Mr. Pitney Came Too."

01 Little Red Rooster (Rolling Stones)
02 Meet Me in the Bottom [Down in the Bottom] (Rolling Stones)
03 Reelin' and Rockin' (Rolling Stones)
04 Stewed and Keefed [Instrumental] (Rolling Stones)
05 Heart of Stone [Demo] (Rolling Stones)
06 Surprise, Surprise (Rolling Stones)
07 Crackin' Up (Rolling Stones)
08 Ain't That Lovin' You Baby (Rolling Stones)
09 Goodbye Girl (Rolling Stones)
10 Key to the Highway (Rolling Stones)
11 Da Doo Ron Ron (Rolling Stones)
12 And Mr. Spector and Mr. Pitney Came Too [Instrumental] (Rolling Stones with Gene Pitney)

https://www.imagenetz.de/d9nB6

For the cover, I once again used a cover of a single of the same name, with the art slightly modified. (Someone in some art department obviously seized on the use of the word "red" in "Little Red Rooster!")

9 comments:

  1. Just WOW! Thanks... since I found your reconstructions this week I think I have gotten everything you've posted. I'm loving a big thanks from the mid-pacific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're the first person to compliment the site as a whole.

      Delete
  2. This site is terrific - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series. But why do all the Stones look like they're in their 50s here? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, the pic does make them look old, with sunken / baggy eyes. Weird.

      Delete
  4. Hi and happy new year!
    I'm Giuseppe and Iam from Italy.
    I've just found your blog and I feel enthusiastic! I collect the rolling stones, especcially the cover versions.
    I wuold ask you: the albums that you post here are available for download or not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Many whishes for a good new year. And thaks again for your passion on sharing music.
    I'am very interested to this record, mainly for "Heart of stone", beatiful song and here in a different version. But the download is very problematic for this.Can you change something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I understood everything. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete