Monday, May 7, 2018

The Rolling Stones - 12 X 5 - Alternate Version (1964)

This Rolling Stones album didn't require much changing by me. As bands typically did back in that era, the Stones were releasing more albums in the US than in Britain.

Their US album "12 X 5" ably gathers up a bunch of tracks. However, three of the songs of it were also used on one of the British albums, and I don't want any duplication. That left the album too short, plus, with the name "12 X 5" it needs to have 12 songs on it, not 9. Thus, I used three songs that were recorded a few months before the album came out, around the same time some of the other songs on the album were recorded.

Since this has the same title as the "12 X 5" US album, I'm using the same cover art. But I changed the record company logo to match the other ones in this series, and I put it in a less obtrusive spot.

01 Around and Around (Rolling Stones)
02 Confessin' the Blues (Rolling Stones)
03 Empty Heart (Rolling Stones)
04 Time Is on My Side [Organ Version] (Rolling Stones)
05 Good Times, Bad Times (Rolling Stones)
06 It's All Over Now (Rolling Stones)
07 2120 South Michigan Avenue [Instrumental] (Rolling Stones)
08 Congratulations (Rolling Stones)
09 If You Need Me (Rolling Stones)
10 [Walkin' Thru The] Sleepy City (Rolling Stones)
11 We're Wastin' Time (Rolling Stones)
12 We Were Falling in Love (Rolling Stones)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15256573/TRollngS_1964c_12by5Alternate_atse.zip.html

The album cover is the official cover without any changes.

3 comments:

  1. I downloaded this in hopes that your version of "Congratulations" would be in stereo but sadly, it is not. I do not think there is a stereo version of this song. It is one of my favorites by them. Hauntingly beautiful. Has that classic early 60's Stones sound. But I guess they never recorded a stereo version. Thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to mono vs. stereo when it comes to 1960s music. I know the logical thing is to want stereo for everything, but the mono version of songs from this era often sound as good or better than the stereo one. Consider for instance that the Beatles paid a lot of attention getting the mono mixes just right and didn't even bother involving themselves with the stereo mixes until the very end of the 1960s. So, chances are you aren't missing out much with only having the mono version of this song.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I took so long to reply. I know what you mean about the Beatles stereo. One or two to the early albums were recorded with the vocals in one speaker and the music in the other. Sounded really weird. The Beach Boys used to listen to their singles through a car radio before they released them to see how they would sound , as they knew that is how most people would hear them back then.

      Delete