Monday, May 28, 2018

The Who - Introducing the Who - Non-Album Tracks (1965)

My posting of albums by The Who has fallen behind all the stuff I've been posting from The Kinks and Rolling Stones and other bands, so it's time I try to catch up.

One of the great things about the Who is that they almost never put out a bad song, and for most of their albums, they had so many stray tracks that one could make another album for each of them. This is the companion album for 1965's "The Who Sing My Generation."

My goal, as is almost the case with such stray tracks albums, is less to be historically accurate about what they might have actually released, and more just gather up all the good songs to make a pleasing listening experience. In 2015, Soniclovenoize at his blog Albums That Never Were made an album of 1965 Who songs called "Introducing The Who." I liked his cover art, so I've chosen to use that, and the same title. But his approach was to create an album that reflected what the Who might have actually released if they'd put out an album before the song "My Generation" was written.

My approach is somewhat different. His album had ten songs on it, including some songs from the "My Generation" album. I've put 14 songs on my version, with no overlap from that album. I've also included three songs from when the Who were briefly known as "the High Numbers." There's no reason not to, as that band name was just a gimmick their manager forced on them for a few months before they reverted back to their original name.

This album mostly contains R&B cover versions. As a result, I don't think it's as good as the "My Generation" album, since that mostly contains original songs. But it's still a strong album, especially since it includes the two hit singles "I Can't Explain" and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere." The songs are mostly in chronological order, except I wanted to start each side (imagining this is a vinyl record) with one of the hit singles.

01 I Can't Explain (Who)
02 Zoot Suit (High Numbers [Who])
03 I'm the Face (High Numbers [Who])
04 Here 'Tis (High Numbers [Who])
05 Leaving Here (Who)
06 Motoring (Who)
07 Baby, Don't You Do It (Who)
08 Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Who)
09 Bald Headed Woman (Who)
10 Anytime You Want Me (Who)
11 Daddy Rolling Stone (Who)
12 Lubie [Come Back Home] (Who)
13 Shout and Shimmy (Who)
14 Circles [Instant Party] (Who)

https://www.imagenetz.de/m3fpQ

As mentioned above, the cover art was created by Soniclovenoize.

No comments:

Post a Comment