Thursday, May 31, 2018

Paul McCartney - Another Day - Non-Album Tracks (1970-1971)

Paul McCartney is a musical genius, but his solo career has been frustratingly uneven. In my opinion, a lot of that has to do with quality control issues. Basically, he needed someone to tell him when some songs were only halfway done and needed to be finished or discarded, and generally help him sort out his wheat from his chaff. When he did have someone help him like this, such as producer George Martin with the "Tug of War" album, the results were much better.

Many songs that got onto McCartney's albums should have been left on the cutting room floor. But also, many songs that didn't get onto his albums should have. He is rumored to have hundreds of songs that haven't even been bootlegged. But a lot of good songs have been bootlegged, and even more were released by him but put out only as B-sides or in other obscure ways.

I've spent a lot of time going through McCartney's rarities, both officially released and unreleased. Many deserve to stay obscure. But I've gathered up all the good stuff and I'll be posting in here in a series of albums.

Here's the first one, covering just the years of 1970 and 1971. I'd considered including songs like "Goodbye" and "Heather" that he did in 1968 or 1969, but I think of those as Beatles outtakes, even when he was the only Beatle on the recording.

A couple of songs here were drastically edited. There is only one known version of "Indeed I Do" on a bootleg, with Paul singing and playing acoustic guitar and his wife Linda adding backup vocals. He does three different versions of the song back to back, playing different sections of the song each time. So what I've done is edit the best of those three versions together to make one cohesive take. I think it worked out quite well.

The other song I edited was "Rode All Night." The problem there is that the song went on for nearly nine minutes, which was about five minutes too long, because it's just repeating the same bits over and over without any soloing or the like. So I cut the length way down. I also used a rare version that has bass on it, which makes a big difference.

This makes for a nice 39 minute long album, very much in the same vein as "McCartney" and "Ram" from those years.

01 Another Day (Paul McCartney)
02 1882 (Paul McCartney)
03 Suicide (Paul McCartney)
04 Indeed I Do [Demo] (Paul McCartney)
05 Oh Woman, Oh Why (Paul McCartney)
06 Little Woman Love (Paul McCartney)
07 Rode All Night [Edit] (Paul McCartney)
08 A Love for You (Paul McCartney)
09 Hey Diddle (Paul McCartney)
10 Tragedy (Paul McCartney)
11 When the Wind Is Blowing [Instrumental] (Paul McCartney)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15259011/PaulMcC_1971_AnothrDay_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I used the cover of the "Another Day" single. However, I thought the coloring of Paul and Linda was ugly, so I turned that blue to match the title color. Also, I moved the record company logo to a less noticeable spot, and removed the name of the B-side song.

4 comments:

  1. I fixed it. It's good to know someone is paying attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on your views on McCartney, vastly talented but totally lacks taste sometimes ( too often!)putting out insipid and schmaltzy songs, which is frustrating because you know he can produce fantastic things!.. thanks for this!

    Stuffy from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. He's super talented, but he was even better when he had a strong foil like Lennon. I also really like the songs he did with Elvis Costello. I wish he did more collaborations like that.

      Delete