Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Stephen Stills - Live Acoustic (1976)

So far, I've posted an alternate history of Crosby, Stills, Nash and/or Young albums up to 1976. Before I continue onwards with that, I want to go on a tangent with a Stephen Stills solo album.

Stills' solo concerts from the 1970s are not well covered by bootlegs. For instance, he had a 1971 tour, but only one bootleg of that had emerged, and it is only middling audience quality instead of a soundboard. Clearly, the interest in his solo work is way, way less than that of Neil Young's, for whom bootlegs exist of a majority of his 1970s shows. But for whatever reason, there are more bootlegs than usual for an acoustic tour Stills did in 1976.

I think a big reason there's a lot less interest in Stills' concerts is that he usually doesn't have a very eclectic song selection. Instead, he has tended to play the same well known songs over and over, such as "For What It's Worth," "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes," and "Love the One You're With." But I have about five bootlegs of his 1976 tour, and I realized that although there's a lot of repeated songs, not all of them are the same old, same old. I decided to make a compilation of all the songs he did in a solo acoustic format that year, except for his best known songs, since I tend to get tired of those.

The result is what would have been considered a double album back in that era, of 20 songs totaling just under two hours. Be warned the sound quality varies. Some of the concerts I drew from are audience recordings instead of soundboards. Luckily though, when it comes to solo acoustic music, that's less of a problem than when a full band can often sound muddy on audience recordings.

By the way, I added one bonus track. I wanted to include the song "In the Way," which came out on a 1975 album, but I could only find full band versions of the song played in 1976 concerts. However, I found a nice acoustic version of it from an obscure 1980 radio interview he did.

01 Buyin' Time (Stephen Stills)
02 Black Coral (Stephen Stills)
03 Make Love to You (Stephen Stills)
04 I Give You Give Blind (Stephen Stills)
05 Taken at All (Stephen Stills)
06 Crossroads (Stephen Stills)
07 Red House (Stephen Stills)
08 You Can’t Catch Me (Stephen Stills)
09 Fallen Eagle (Stephen Stills)
10 Blackbird (Stephen Stills)
11 Human Highway (Stephen Stills)
12 Everybody's Talkin' (Stephen Stills)
13 Word Game (Stephen Stills)
14 Jack of Diamonds (Stephen Stills)
15 Stateline Blues (Stephen Stills)
16 Do for the Others (Stephen Stills)
17 Treetop Flyer (Stephen Stills)
18 Circlin' (Stephen Stills)
19 Four Days Gone (Stephen Stills)
20 Myth of Sisyphus (Stephen Stills)
21 Daylight Again - Find the Cost of Freedom (Stephen Stills)

In the Way [Acoustic Version] (Stephen Stills)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15265169/StephenS_1976_LiveAcoustc_atse.zip.html

I'm not sure exactly when or where the cover art photo was taken, but it looks to be from the mid-1970s.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you. Have a nice day. jimg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Link is dead. If a new link is possible it would be appreciated. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- This link to the Stephen Stills compilation seems to have gone dead again. Are you able to re- activate it?
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lost. How do I download this Stephen Stills 1976 Live Acoustic? I've copied and pasted the link in my browser but every time I click on one of the many download buttons, it's nothing but spam. Help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the exact problem is. Try using an anti-ad plug in for your browser, or just a different browser. If that doesn't work, all my stuff is available through Soulseek as well.

      Delete
    2. Do you ever use WeTransfer? This is not working for me at all. All spam.

      Delete
  5. I would love to have the radio interview. Can you point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could be this:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QY4I8ftmGI

      Delete
    2. This link goes to a fairly famous interview with Jim Ladd. Was the radio interview on Youtube?

      Delete
    3. Sorry, it's been a while. I don't remember where that was from exactly.

      Delete
  6. I actually recorded a Stills 1971 show at the Boston Garden with the Memphis Horns. Unfortunately, not great sound. I've only ever seen 3 other tapes from that tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news! I read the other day that a 1971 Stills concert will be officially released in a couple of months. I'm sure it's soundboard quality. I'm looking forward to that.

      https://americansongwriter.com/stephen-stills-releases-live-at-berkeley-1971-recordings-for-the-first-time/

      Delete