Saturday, May 5, 2018

Rosanne Cash - Private Moments - Non-Album Tracks (1990-1991)

Rosanne Cash is a very underappreciated artist, in my opinion. She's so much more than just Johnny Cash's daughter. I hope to post a fair amount of her (non-official album) stuff here to hopefully turn some people on to her music.

In the 1980s, Cash became a country music star. In fact, in 1988, she had four no. 1 country hits, and she sold the most of any country artist that year. But then for her next album, "Interiors" in 1990, she basically abandoned country music for more of a confessional singer songwriter style, and she seemingly followed her artistic muse with little concern about getting more hits. As a result, the country music industry and her own record company basically dropped her like a hot potato, and her sales plummeted. She's never been a big seller ever since.

That's a shame, because "Interiors" is my favorite album by her. I don't mean to oversell it by comparing it to one of the greatest albums of all time, but it reminds me some of "Plastic Ono Band" by John Lennon in that she clearly was going through some troubled emotional times and expressing that through her music.

I've noticed that when an artist is hitting a creative high point, even their stray tracks from around that time are usually excellent. That's the case here. I've gathered a bunch of tracks from her "Interiors" era. A few of them have made it on various retrospectives, but most of them remain surprisingly obscure, even though she wrote the vast majority of them. In fact, a handful of them are still unreleased, but I luckily found soundboard quality bootlegs of them being performed in concert. (As I often do when mixing in live tracks with studio ones, I edited out the clapping at the end of those songs to make them sound like studio tracks too.)

I recommend you give "Interiors" a close listen, if you haven't already. If you like it, I'll bet you'll like this too.

By the way, I normally try not to repeat songs on official albums, but the acoustic version of "What We Really Want," a track on "Interiors," is really nice and was a later bonus track for that album, so I couldn't resist including it.

01 All Come True (Rosanne Cash)
02 What We Really Want [Acoustic Version] (Rosanne Cash)
03 It Came Upon a Midnight Clear (Rosanne Cash)
04 Portrait (Rosanne Cash)
05 A Lover Is Forever (Rosanne Cash)
06 Lonely Hearts Brigade (Rosanne Cash)
07 Private Moments (Rosanne Cash)
08 Crescent City (Rosanne Cash)
09 Bedroom Lies (Rosanne Cash)
10 Road Widow (Rosanne Cash)
11 Ella's Song (Rosanne Cash)
12 Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Rosanne Cash, Lucinda Williams & Bruce Cockburn)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15103720/RosanneC_1990-1991_PrivateMments_atse.zip.html

At some point, Cash released a version of "Interiors" which she called "Interiors - The Full Sessions" even though it was just the same album with two bonus tracks at the end. For whatever reason, it had a completely different (and rather strange) album cover. I've used that here, except that had no words on it and I added her name and the name I made for this album on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment