Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Lucinda Williams - Bone of Contention - Non-Album Tracks (2007-2009)

Someone posted a comment complimenting my Lucinda Williams stray tracks albums. I'm glad to hear at least one person is enjoying them. So here's the next one in my chronological series.

All but three of the songs here were officially released, from the usual various artists compilations and appearances on other people's albums. The other three come from concert bootlegs, but they sound just fine.

The centerpiece of this album is probably the four songs from an official 2008 EP, called "Lu in '08." All three are covers of anti-war songs. I suspect that theme has something to do with her opposition to the war in Iraq raging at the time, as well as having a mind to the US presidential elections later that year. (The EP was released about a week before the election.)

I think all the songs on this album are covers, except for "Bone of Contention," and most of them are of famous songs. I like the chutzpah of a country-sounding singer-songwriter who does a version of "Riders on the Storm." She also seemed to have been in a Bob Dylan mood, because two of the covers were written by Dylan: "Queen Jane Approximately" and "Masters of War."

01 Honey Chile (Lucinda Williams)
02 Riders on the Storm (Lucinda Williams)
03 I Live My Life (Lucinda Williams)
04 Queen Jane Approximately (Lucinda Williams)
05 Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys (Lucinda Williams)
06 The Ghost of Phil Sinclair (Chip Taylor & Lucinda Williams)
07 For What It's Worth (Lucinda Williams)
08 Bone of Contention (Lucinda Williams)
09 Masters of War (Lucinda Williams)
10 Marching the Hate Machines [Into the Sun] (Lucinda Williams)
11 Oh Lonesome Me (M. Ward & Lucinda Williams)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15191376/LucndaWllms_2007-2009_BneContntion_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from a concert in Boston in 2007.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Paul, for all the Lucinda's! I hadn't listened to her for ages. I remember her heart wrenching World Without Tears, so moving with its mix of strength & emotional bareness. Glad to hear her again. Keep on imagining such beautiful should exist albums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you, and to peerke and heartsofstone above.

      Willaims is very prolific with her non-album stuff. I have five more stray tracks albums to post, plus various other stuff from her.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff for this whole series

    ReplyDelete
  3. She recorded Fats Domino's "I Live My Life" in 2008 and released it as a bonus track/b-side in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I arrived here since Brian Wise has just played Queen Jane Approximately on Melbourne's 3RRR.

    ReplyDelete